You are here: Home Improvements > Home Improvement DIY Forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reflooring old house.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:25 pm 

I am in the process of remodeling an old family house and I am getting ready to lay plywood floor then place Oak laminate floor with underlayment. I was told that if I was going to put that type of floor down that I should put R19 insulation in under the plywood. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The house is 35 years old. Thanks. Breleigh

Post subject: Reflooring old house. 
PostPosted: Today 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 pm 

Welcome to the forum Breleigh! I am assuming you are doing this over a concrete floor? I have heard of this being done.Laying 1" styro (usually about R8) then tongue and groove plywood fastened to floor then underpad and laminate. R19 seems a little extreme you would need like 2-1/2 " of styrofoam? Over concrete almost any closed cell styrofoam will give a dramatic difference in warmth because you are creating a thermal break from the concrete surface, so i don't think it is necessary to go super thick. good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:05 am 

Thanks so much. Actually it is for a plywood floor that is over a 12inch crawlspace. So the R19 would be in the crawlspace. We do have a moisture barrier down in the crawlspace already. I live in the panhandle of Florida if that makes a difference.

By the way we have utilized your videos alot in our remodel process! They are very helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm 

Glad to be of help.You could for sure insulate the floor joist space to R19 then do your plywood and flooring.thanks for clearing that up.