Reflooring old house.

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Breleigh

Reflooring old house.

Postby Breleigh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:25 pm

I am in the process of remodeling an old family house and I am getting ready to lay plywood floor then place Oak laminate floor with underlayment. I was told that if I was going to put that type of floor down that I should put R19 insulation in under the plywood. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The house is 35 years old. Thanks. Breleigh

Shannon

Re: Reflooring old house.

Postby Shannon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Breleigh! I am assuming you are doing this over a concrete floor? I have heard of this being done.Laying 1" styro (usually about R8) then tongue and groove plywood fastened to floor then underpad and laminate. R19 seems a little extreme you would need like 2-1/2 " of styrofoam? Over concrete almost any closed cell styrofoam will give a dramatic difference in warmth because you are creating a thermal break from the concrete surface, so i don't think it is necessary to go super thick. good luck!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Breleigh

Postby Breleigh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks so much. Actually it is for a plywood floor that is over a 12inch crawlspace. So the R19 would be in the crawlspace. We do have a moisture barrier down in the crawlspace already. I live in the panhandle of Florida if that makes a difference.

By the way we have utilized your videos alot in our remodel process! They are very helpful!

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Glad to be of help.You could for sure insulate the floor joist space to R19 then do your plywood and flooring.thanks for clearing that up.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Return to “Interior”