Drywalling over Mop Ceiling

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
rchesterton

Drywalling over Mop Ceiling

Postby rchesterton » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm

I have a "mop" ceiling that I have tried to remove but cannot. It is hardened and just impossible to scrape no matter what I do. In another room, I ripped the entire ceiling off and rebuilt basically the entire room (tore off textured walls, too). What a job that was for a first time drywaller.

That said, I plan to just cover the ceiling in the next room with thin drywall (1/4 inch, I believe). Is it as simple as screwing the new drywall right into the old ceiling which will cover the mopped ceiling?

I guess I have learned to ask...nothing is as simple as it seems.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG (438.01 KiB) Viewed 57 times

Shannon

Re: Drywalling over Mop Ceiling

Postby Shannon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Pretty tough to scrape a mopped ceiling ,and it looks like that one is painted also which would make it hard as concrete.
I would still use 1/2" drywall if you want to go over the old stuff. 1/4" is pretty thin and because your surface is not flat and smooth to start with the thin drywall will be a lot of trouble to get it sitting nice. You need to use 2" screws for sure and to save you some hassle I would find and mark all of the ceiling joists before hand so they are clear and easy to hit when applying the new layer.
This is not my first choice to just cover over it but I understand your situation.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Postby Mastercarpentry » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Ceilings are always 1/2" or thicker to prevent sag between joists, and also because the material itself is far less susceptible to fastener pull-through than the thinner stuff. 3/8" works good on walls as will 1'4" if you glue it between the studs. In your case the 'overlay' is probably the best approach if you don't want to demo it to the bare joists. I've had my sheetrock guys do bunches of these in rentals and they look and work as good as new.

Phil

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:25 pm

I too put 1/4" over a plaster/lath ceiling that was sagging and the plaster was delaminating from the lath in some areas. I just did not want to deal with demo. The ceiling now looks great. I chalklined all the joists beforehand.

Return to “Interior”