Cold basement Floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
kevdz79

Cold basement Floor

Postby kevdz79 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello Shannon.
I have a Tri-level home with a cinder block foundation. The lower level (which is kind of like a basement) is always cold and has a draft. The floor is concrete with carpet over it. I have an IR camera and it seems that all of the cold air is coming in where the cinder block meets the concrete floor, directly under the baseboard. I was going to put ½ inch foam board on the floor and then cover it with plywood but my ceilings are low. It would also raise the floor going into the other rooms. Is there anything you can suggest that I can install under the carpet, besides the padding to help insulate the concrete? I was thinking of the ¼ inch fan fold insulation but wasn’t sure if I can put that on a concrete floor. Thank you
Attachments
IR_1220.jpg
IR_1220.jpg (638.55 KiB) Viewed 101 times
IR_1251.jpg
IR_1251.jpg (699.94 KiB) Viewed 101 times

Shannon

Re: Cold basement Floor

Postby Shannon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Those are typically the cold areas of the basement , lots of cold convection through the wood because of little insulation value. Personally there is likely very little you can do that will make a huge difference. I would assume this is a 30+ yr old home and the air/vapour barrier is not done well so you are probably getting most of the cold draft because of that. Also the insulation is likely only R10 or 12. A carpeted floor with a good underlay is about as warm of a floor as you are going to get in this case. The floor is really not the issue here IMO
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

kevdz79

Postby kevdz79 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Ok, thanks for the reply and all of the great videos. They helped me get through many projects.
Kevin

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:31 pm

You are welcome Kevin
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Return to “Interior”