Retaining wall

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
DyolfKnip

Retaining wall

Postby DyolfKnip » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:03 am

When engineering a retaining wall, how much of the height counts towards any load calculations? If the wall is partly buried to get the footer below frost depth, and part of the wall sticks out above the ground, do you only consider the height that will have air on one side and soil on the other?

I called a couple of concrete places about doing a trio of formed retaining walls enclosing an area up against the house, and they all seemed to act as if the the 7' wall I was describing was a monumental project, even though only 4' of it is actually retaining anything (2' underground and 1' in the air). One of them actually said "8 to 10 foot wide footer". The house I'm living in has basement walls taller than that, and they're just CMU's.

Shannon

Re: Retaining wall

Postby Shannon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Boy I am really not sure. So this is a concrete wall 7' tall holding back 3' of dirt on one side? I 'm afraid I really do not know but I think the length of the wall would come into play as well and also if the ground is being driven on will have an effect as well?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

DyolfKnip

Postby DyolfKnip » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:16 pm

10' x 26', forming a box up against the house (the 10'ers would be anchored to the basement). One wall would have stairs formed in it. There wouldn't be any driving near it.

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:33 am

Sounds pretty safe to me to go ahead with.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Return to “Exterior”