Shed Floor Design

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
TacomaCZMan

Shed Floor Design

Postby TacomaCZMan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Hello from Houston, Texas,
I am new to the forum. Loads of good information! Appreciate being able to join. I am planning on building a backyard shed 8'W x 12'L with a door in the narrow side.

I have watched the first shed video showing the 2 x 4 floor joist design. At the end of that video, there was mention of using 2 x 6's for the joists. As an example, the Tuff Sheds(which I was considering buying) use 2 x 6's for the joists. For my 8'W x 12'L shed, would the 2 x 6's treated be more than adequate for the floor frame? I haven't looked at the lumber span tables yet.

Thanks for the help!

TacomaCZMan

Shannon

Re: Shed Floor Design

Postby Shannon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:19 am

It really depends what you are putting in the shed and how the floor is supported and framed. A 2x4 framed floor 16" O.C. supported with 3 4x4 skids may be all you need if its just basic yard supplies and mower going in there. But if you are driving a lawn tractor in you may want to use 2x6s.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

TacomaCZMan

Postby TacomaCZMan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am

Appreciate the reply Shannon.

Mastercarpentry

Postby Mastercarpentry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 am

As a general rule, 2X4 is not considered adequate for any joisting purposes; 2X6 is the usual minimum. Planned usage bears on this, but I always keep in mind that this can change so it's better to build in any possibly needed strength now while it's easy than to try to add that later. Should you sell, you never know what a new owner will do so I always build to the standards even where it may not really be necessary.

Phil

Return to “Exterior”