Wiring basements

Ask your electrical related questions here
ziqbal_2000

Wiring basements

Post by ziqbal_2000 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:00 am

Hello,

I am developing my basement and have few questions;

I am putting safe n sound roxul insulation to reduce noise in the ceiling. Do I have to install inverter boxes (big bulky boxes) to hold my pot lights? Or I can leave some gap between insulation and pot light fixture? Does leaving gap effect the purpose of sound reduction?

I will be running my circuits from arc fault breaker which will have a gfci receptacle in the bathroom, some other receptacle and pot lights. Is there any particular order I have to wire this?

Thank you!

Aaron

Re: Wiring basements

Post by Aaron » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Yes you should have those lights in a vapor-sealed cavity, with plenty of space around for ventilation and heat dissipation. There are shroud boxes you can get for standard pots, but I think there may also be lights that integrate the shroud in one assembly.

Hey Wayne: what is the deal with AFCI and lights again--I forgot.

ziqbal_2000

Post by ziqbal_2000 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks Aaron, do I have to use vapour barrier box even if that is not in the outside envelop of the house (basement ceiling)?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Are you planning a vapor barrier in addition to Roxul? I don't think you would need to since you have living space above your basement, right? Sorry I think I might have misunderstood you. You're using the insulation just for acoustics.

I think if you leave a gap you should be okay, but it may be code to use the shroud if there will be insulation anywhere near the light--please check with your building authority. Also, with the shroud I think you could insulate right up to it. Here's a video of the shroud installation (as well as the vapor barrier, which I don't believe you need at all):

https://youtu.be/o1Mqxl6NBKU

It will probably for sure cause more noise transmission from the floor above, unfortunately.

One solution my Dad did up at his lake home is use surface-mound LED puck lights that attach to 4" square junction boxes. They are about 1/2" proud of the ceiling, but they really do look like pot lights without the bother of a deep recess. You can easily have a fully insulated ceiling then (he used cellular expanding foam insulation throughout the house).

Here's the product at a couple stores in case you're interested:

http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm ... R-I3698624

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.6-in ... 62252.html

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 am

ziqbal_2000 wrote:Hello,

I am developing my basement and have few questions;

I am putting safe n sound roxul insulation to reduce noise in the ceiling. Do I have to install inverter boxes (big bulky boxes) to hold my pot lights? Or I can leave some gap between insulation and pot light fixture? Does leaving gap effect the purpose of sound reduction?

I will be running my circuits from arc fault breaker which will have a gfci receptacle in the bathroom, some other receptacle and pot lights. Is there any particular order I have to wire this?

Thank you!
If you are installing a pot light in insulation, then you need to use an IC rated can.
You only need a vapour barrier on the pot light, if it is installed on a 'cold' insulated wall. If it is just soundproofing, then you only require the IC rated can. You can have insulation touching the IC can, it is designed for that purpose.

It doesn't really matter what order you do the wiring. If you can do up a drawing or rough sketch, Aaron or I can verify it for you.

As far as AFCIs in Canada, if you ONLY have lighting on the circuit, it doesn't require the AFCI protection. Since you are also wiring up a receptacle, the AFCI is required
~~ I'm right on 34 of 100 answers ... That ties me with Babe Ruth :mrgreen: ~~

ziqbal_2000

Post by ziqbal_2000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am

Thank you for your help!!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:24 pm

ziqbal_2000 wrote:Thank you for your help!!
Your Welcome Ziqbal !

Let us know if you need anything further ;)
~~ I'm right on 34 of 100 answers ... That ties me with Babe Ruth :mrgreen: ~~

richardandrews

Post by richardandrews » Wed May 17, 2017 1:57 am

Thanks for shareing the videos.

Claud123

Post by Claud123 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:26 am

Thanks for sharing the videos and this information here, You guys are amazing, always give your valuable opinion and i really liked that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:24 pm

Have you looked at using the led slim lights? They basically have a driver attached to the led light that must lay above the ceiling but takes up maybe 4"x4" X1". These could be completely covered with insulation as far as I know.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:26 pm

If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon