Picture Frame framing mess up. Spacing Is wrong. Do I need to start over?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Mike21136

Picture Frame framing mess up. Spacing Is wrong. Do I need to start over?

Postby Mike21136 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am

The spacing for the perpendicular boards is 11 3/8" at the house and jumps to 12" at the opposite end?

No idea what happened. My framing is square. Anyway to fix it? I have a track saw so I could trim the left side and take out the
Right side and re do that.

My deck is 27x17.
Each Azek board is 5.5".

I wanted two boards running perpendicular to the house. Then 12' section then 2 'more boards running perpendicular to the house. Finally finishing with two more perpendicular boards.

I did both sides and left 11 3/8" for the two boards plus spacing. At the house the spacing is good at 11 3/8". But at the far side it jumps to 12"

The Azek boards are longer then 12". By almost an inch or so.

I have a track saw and was planning on cutting the left side and then putting the perpendicular boards. And taking up all the right side 12' boards.

Is there a better option.

My joists aren't straight. For some reason.
The decking appears to be straight on the sides but the middle is off.

Anyway to fix this? If the decking is 1/2 " off. Can it be fixed with a track saw? I'm using hidden fastened.
Attachments
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (638.82 KiB) Viewed 97 times
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (570.66 KiB) Viewed 97 times
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG (526.57 KiB) Viewed 97 times
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG (516.7 KiB) Viewed 97 times
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG (512.64 KiB) Viewed 97 times

Mike21136

Re: Picture Frame framing mess up. Spacing Is wrong. Do I need to start over?

Postby Mike21136 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:21 am

This is the goal. Just not sure how to fix
Attachments
IMG_0006.PNG
IMG_0006.PNG (322.77 KiB) Viewed 96 times

Mastercarpentry

Postby Mastercarpentry » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Never trust that materials will always be parallel-edged or their lengths be exactly the same. If it won't upset your design too much, instead of doubled edges and fillers, how about tripling them? Then your track saw will have enough length to work with since you can't make the boards longer. Otherwise the only way I can see without ripping a deck board would be to reframe slightly shorter.

Just because it works on paper doesn't mean it works that way in the real world!

Phil

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Yes I would agree the best way to fix this is to cut 3 boards in if you can. removing all the boards you need to remove to change framing or try and get straightened out will be time consuming.
Ya something is really out of waco with your joists, must have made a mistake on the layout?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mike21136

Postby Mike21136 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Mastercarpentry wrote:Never trust that materials will always be parallel-edged or their lengths be exactly the same. If it won't upset your design too much, instead of doubled edges and fillers, how about tripling them? Then your track saw will have enough length to work with since you can't make the boards longer. Otherwise the only way I can see without ripping a deck board would be to reframe slightly shorter.

Just because it works on paper doesn't mean it works that way in the real world!

Phil

I definitely learned some hard lessons on that fact today. I ended up using the track saw to straighten and fix the messes up side.

I have decided to lay the two perpendicular boards then move on the other side.

I'm going to have to just re do the one second and move it over about an inch or two next to the perpendicular boards.

I thought 3 boards would look fine but my wife didn't think so..... so out came the track saw.

Thanks again. Appreciate it

Mike21136

Postby Mike21136 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Shannon wrote:Yes I would agree the best way to fix this is to cut 3 boards in if you can. removing all the boards you need to remove to change framing or try and get straightened out will be time consuming.
Ya something is really out of waco with your joists, must have made a mistake on the layout?

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to remove half the boards. It's about 20 rows. Hopefully only a few hours.

Yea something got went really hay wire with the joists. The elevated deck might be a little large for a first deck. Definitely learned some lessons this week.

Thanks again,

Mike

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:17 am

Good luck Mike, send us a picture when you get done.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Postby Mastercarpentry » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 pm

We all learned like this so don't feel bad about it. Looking forward to some finished pics, I'm sure it will be a job you're proud of when you're done!

Phil

Return to “Exterior”