Light switches in the Basement - Unfinished

Ask your electrical related questions here
vmlopez

Light switches in the Basement - Unfinished

Postby vmlopez » Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi,
I noticed in my unfinished basement, there are 4 lights that is only control by a switch at the top of the stairs. I also noticed by looking at the wires, that they are all tied in together ( don't know the term for that) and there isn't any other switches to turn the lights off only if I go to the electrical panel and power off the one button. How do I go about adding a switch down stairs by the walkout basement door - which has a bulkhead. I thought there was supposed to be a light at the bottom of the stairs according to the building codes ?

Aaron

Re: Light switches in the Basement - Unfinished

Postby Aaron » Mon May 15, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm not sure code mandates there be a three-way switch at the top and bottom of basement stairs if the basement is not a livable space. But it is nevertheless handy to always have such a switch, regardless.

All you need to purchase are two three-way switches, enough length of 14/3 wire to run from the top switch to the location where you want the other switch, and a switch box.

Hopefully your existing switchbox at the top will be large enough to accomodate the extra wiring.

vmlopez

Postby vmlopez » Mon May 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Thank you for the info..

richardandrews

Postby richardandrews » Wed May 17, 2017 1:50 am

Yes. I really like the post.

Thanks!

Return to “Electrical”