Ridge Beam

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Jay

Ridge Beam

Postby Jay » Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi Shannon,

I am building a small 16x24 foot cabin with 8 foot walls and a vaulted ceiling another 8 feet to the peak. The roof has a 12/12 pitch. For the roof I was going to use a structural ridge beam made up of 2x8's nailed together 4 wide to span the length of the building. Do you know if I would be able to span the 24 foot length with the ridge beam without a support post in the middle? Also, the rafters will be attached to the top plate with hurricane ties. Would you recommend collar ties at the top third of the rafter as well? Do you think a ridge board would be a better way to go for a vaulted ceiling than a ridge beam? Thanks for your reply.

Shannon

Re: Ridge Beam

Postby Shannon » Tue May 16, 2017 7:47 am

You will need at least one support post. What area of the country do you live in ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jay

Postby Jay » Tue May 16, 2017 9:02 am

Alberta

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Tue May 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Ok so in many areas of Alberta the snow load is very different so i will need you to be more specific on your location please
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jay

Postby Jay » Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 pm

East central Alberta by Lloydminster. Is a collar tie a must have?

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 pm

ok so your beam design could span 8' or if you went with a 4 ply 2x12 you could get 11'. Th beam is a better choice then a ridge board. With a steep roof slope like this the roof puts outward pressure on the walls to it is good to support and attach those joists on a beam to reduce that pressure. If you want a clear span of the entire building you could likely get a glue laminated beam that would do the job . You would have to talk to a supplier to figure that out though. The collar ties are really not necessary for this width of building IMO.
Sorry it took so long to answer your questions , I just wanted to have all the right info first. Snow load defiantly comes into play when designing a roof structure.

Jay

Postby Jay » Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks I appreciate it!

Return to “Miscellaneous”