3 questions about my new shed

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
TheNiceGuy

3 questions about my new shed

Postby TheNiceGuy » Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Shannon
I have a couple of questions about a leento I'm going to make for storage. Here's a video showing the project if you have time :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qGaFGBQ2rg&feature=
Got cut off at the end, just said the dirt will be covered with thin concrete.
Thanks

Shannon

Re: 3 questions about my new shed

Postby Shannon » Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 pm

You always have interesting projects on the go.
I think all your ideas would work just fine. The only thing I am not completely sure about is trying to seal the bottom of the metal panels by embedding them in the cement? In your climate that may work? I think if you could have the posts right out to the outer edge and running the sheet slightly down, past and below the foundation. This way moisture would run down the outer edge of the foundation and away from the shed.
As far as attaching a "ledger " to the house wall for the roof, you would be fine if you can pre drill the holes through the wood and stucco.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

TheNiceGuy

Postby TheNiceGuy » Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am

Cheers Shannon. I don't have a masonry bit long and thin enough to pass through a 2 x 4 and the stucco, and allow a nail afterwards to sit snug. I could drill them all separately, but it's gonna be pretty difficult to line them all up in the end.

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Sun May 21, 2017 1:08 pm

You could drill the wood then use it as a template to mark the holes that need to be drilled through the masonry .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Postby A. Spruce » Sun May 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Shannon wrote:You could drill the wood then use it as a template to mark the holes that need to be drilled through the masonry .

Or visa versa. You'll need a high speed steel bit to drill the wood and a carbide masonry bit for the masonry portion of the hole. A spade bit for the wood will work, but if you hit the masonry with it you've wasted the bit, whereas a HSS bit can be resharpened with ease and continue a useful life. 8-)

Return to “Exterior”