Joist hangers on Freestanding deck

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
tmarthet

Joist hangers on Freestanding deck

Postby tmarthet » Tue May 16, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm building a freestanding deck next to my house. The deck is only 2 1/2 feet off the ground. On the rim joist closest to the house should I use joist hangers? That rim joist is only a few inches from the support beam. On the other end, I'm cantilevering the deck about a foot from the support beam. Should I use joist hangers on that rim joist? I hope this is clearer than it seems..LoL. Thanks.

Shannon

Re: Joist hangers on Freestanding deck

Postby Shannon » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 am

Joist hangers are not really necessary when the joists are being supported from below with a beam and not hung from a wall. But there are some reasons to still use them if you want to. #1 on a deck sometimes it is more desirable for looks to not have visible nails or screws on the outside of the rim joists that are seen so joist hangers would eliminate those, #2 Joist hangers can give extra support to the connection of the joist to the rim joists so that if you are mounting railing posts to the rim joist the joist hangers will help prevent flexing when people lean on the railing .
So you had a great question and I hope I was able to answer it well enough.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

tmarthet

Postby tmarthet » Fri May 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Very helpful, as always. Along these same lines, my outer rim joist will be 21.5 feet long. What is the best way to split that length up and attach to the joists? Should I use a double rim joist? I really enjoy your instructional videos. Thank you.

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Fri May 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Just join it on a joist.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Return to “Exterior”