Load bearing material

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Scottystepp

Load bearing material

Postby Scottystepp » Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 pm

I remember seeing a home improvement show where they used a fast setting material to tuck point (shim) between a load bearing pillar and load bearing wall. It was a small space, around 1/4", that he was filling. Any ideas?

My situation involves installing a 4x4 post onto an uneven concrete floor. I could use concrete but the gap would be too small and I'm afraid the concrete wouldn't have much back bone. I could also chisel out a bigger piece of floor but I definitely want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any help!

A. Spruce

Re: Load bearing material

Postby A. Spruce » Wed May 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Can you post a picture of what you are trying to do? It might be easier to use a non-compressive material as a shim than to try to use a mortar product. What is the post supporting that needs the shimming? How much shimming is necessary and is it across the entire footprint of the post or just a small area? Please post as much descriptive info as possible about your situation.

The TOH tv show has used expanding concrete in a few applications, but, I'm not certain that this is the right solution to your problem.

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Wed May 17, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm thinking you are referring to non shrinking grout?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Scottystepp

Postby Scottystepp » Thu May 18, 2017 6:17 am

Thanks once again! Non shrinking grout looks like the ticket! Keep up the great work. You da man.

Return to “Miscellaneous”