Order of installation of new vinyl siding materials

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Jpone54

Order of installation of new vinyl siding materials

Postby Jpone54 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:09 am

Hello Shannon,

I will remove old vertical vinyl siding from my house and replace it with new horizontal vinyl siding.
Once I remove the old siding and the horizontal furring strips, should I install the new vertical furring strips and after the house wrap over them to finish with the siding or the house wrap first, then the furring strips and finally the vinyl siding?

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Paul

Shannon

Re: Order of installation of new vinyl siding materials

Postby Shannon » Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 am

If you need to use furring strips then they can be either installed before or after the house warp.Then you need to install corners and other trim work and finally the siding.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Jpone54

Postby Jpone54 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks for your feedback Shannon. I read in the installation of the vinyl siding manufacturer a recommendation to install insulation between the furrings. In this case, the house wrap shall be installed over the furrings and insulation, not before, right?
Thanks in advance.

Jean-Paul :?:

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Really either way IMO, but it is recommended over the strapping. In my area (Saskatchewan) We do not use strapping. Usually a wood bottom baton is installed along the lower perimeter maybe 1/4"-1/2" above the bottom of siding level.This would be the sam ethicalness as the foam you will be installing and gives a good solid attachment point for the starter strip. The wall is then completely covered in rigid foam ,the thickness you want up to 2". Much better R value because basically the entire wall is covered. When using this method you must use longer nails to be sure you are attaching to the sheathing and studs where possible.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Return to “Exterior”