Final Deck Questions

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Lloyd

Final Deck Questions

Postby Lloyd » Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Everyone,

Back again.

I have attached what I hope are my final plans for a deck project I am about to start.

Long story short, my dad is now in a wheel chair and I need to build this deck and ramp off the back of my house so he can come over.

I have read a good deal in the DCA 6 and I think I am on the right track but I want to get some other's thoughts.

So I have a few questions.

Firstly and most importantly, I plan on using 2-ply 2x10's for my beams (shown in diagram) and 2x10's 16"o.c for my joists. My longest joist span is only the 6'10'' show in the diagram. Is my footing spacing then ok (shown by the dots) ? On the two long beams, I am planning on putting a footing 1'6'' from the ends of the beams and then one in the middle which will be 9'6'' from the outside footings on each side. I am not too sure how good I feel about only 3 footings on this 22'2'' beam but from the beam span info in the DCA I seem to be ok.

With respect the wheelchair ramp, how do I attach the joists the "ledger" on the wheelchair platform I have shown in the picture ? I have never used joist hangers before, will they still some how work despite the joists coming off the ledger at an slight angle ?

Lastly, as my deck is only about 23'' off the ground, I plan to not use posts and attach the beams directly to the concrete footings. I have seen this done but it doesnt seem overly common so I wonder if there are any special considerations here ?

Thanks for all your time
Attachments
Deck Plans.jpg
Deck Plans.jpg (415.41 KiB) Viewed 145 times

Shannon

Re: Final Deck Questions

Postby Shannon » Fri May 19, 2017 9:08 pm

I do not know what DCA 6 is but everything you have is fine by what I know. As far as the beams attached directly to the top of the piles (footings) you will be fine. The most important thing will to get each pile to the exact height you require unless you are using an adjustable anchor that you can adjust to the height you need after.
Good luck!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Lloyd

Postby Lloyd » Sat May 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks for the reply Shannon, appreciate it very much.

The DCA is this :

http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/ ... e-1405.pdf

It seems almost everywhere I read about decks, someone references it.

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Sat May 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks for the link. I'll have to look it over when I get a chance
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Postby Aaron » Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 am

Some light reading. lol

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Mon May 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Aaron wrote:Some light reading. lol

Ya its a few pages I see!

Mastercarpentry

Postby Mastercarpentry » Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am

Simple answers left the construction scene when power tools came into use, and the more power tools there were the more complex the answers became. Even as simple as a deck is, it isn't simple anymore. If we're going to have to know as much as doctors, when are we going to make the money they do?

Phil

Return to “Miscellaneous”