Shed base joist question

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
donin6

Shed base joist question

Post by donin6 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:03 am

Hi, I have a question regarding building a base for a shed.
I'm planning to install an 8X7 resin shed. I've already tamped down and leveled an area about 9' by 8' (with the 3/4 gravel), and I'm about to build an 8X7 base for the shed.
All the instruction videos I've seen are using 2X6 joist, add on top of that 5/8 plywood and about 1.5" of the shed floor thickness, it's quite high off the ground.
So the question is: Can I get away with using 2X4 joist?
I only use it to store garden tools and patio furniture, nothing really heavy at all.
Thanks

Shannon

Re: Shed base joist question

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:43 am

Absolutely , I would space them at 12" o.c to help with beefing it up abit just to be sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

donin6

Post by donin6 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Shannon wrote:Absolutely , I would space them at 12" o.c to help with beefing it up abit just to be sure.
Thanks Shannon.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:39 pm

You can simply put the poly shed directly on the gravel if you so choose.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 am

A. Spruce wrote:You can simply put the poly shed directly on the gravel if you so choose.
Yes I am kind and of surprised that if it has a 1-1/2" thick floor that you want it on a plywood base.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:10 am

That, and I don't like the idea of putting wood in direct contact with the ground like that, it can't breathe, so it will always be wet and will rot quickly. I'd give it 3 to 5 years tops, before it started letting go. Moisture will also be held between the poly floor and the plywood, again, causing rot.

And, no, using pressure treated materials won't make a difference in longevity. Today's PT is neither as protective as it once was, nor is it absorbed deep enough into the material to make much difference.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm

A. Spruce wrote:That, and I don't like the idea of putting wood in direct contact with the ground like that, it can't breathe, so it will always be wet and will rot quickly. I'd give it 3 to 5 years tops, before it started letting go. Moisture will also be held between the poly floor and the plywood, again, causing rot.

And, no, using pressure treated materials won't make a difference in longevity. Today's PT is neither as protective as it once was, nor is it absorbed deep enough into the material to make much difference.
That's why I like sheds placed up on a gravel base and skids...for better drainage and air movement