Semi Finishing Basement-Advice Please

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
aymartinez1

Semi Finishing Basement-Advice Please

Post by aymartinez1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi All,
I'm looking for ideas on how I can 'finish' the basement in our 111 yr old home. Our goal is to finish the basement in an industrial style to hopefully keep it budget friendly and because we do get water from time to time. Some info: we have stone walls that were previously painted white (Probably to hide the seepage we get) and a very rough concrete floor.

My question is, would it be worth it to remove the paint off the walls and tuckpoint/seal any cracks? I love the look of the walls in the photo. Is this a costly job, or should we find a product to give the walls a nice texture and be done? Also, our floors are in very rough, uneven shape with lots of cracking throughout (it maybe a rat slab floor). Would it be best to pour a new floor if we were to do an epoxy finish?

Thank you in advance for any advice. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before calling in contractors so I don't sound like a complete novice.
thanks, Yvonne

PS I've attached a picture of what I'm picturing :)
Attachments
basement.png
basement.png (87.82 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Shannon

Re: Semi Finishing Basement-Advice Please

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 pm

I understand the look you are going for and the only way to strip that paint from the stone walls is likey sand or some form of media blasting . Not sure of the cost to have that done? Having the cracks redone will maybe help for a while on your seepage but not likely to last. These basements where usually not really designed with living space in mind. The only way to likely keep it dry is excavatingbtbe outside and installing a drainage material and sealing the stones from the exterior and adding a weeping system while it's excavated is likely smart. Most epoxy floors will hide some small cracks and help to self level a floor but it sounds like yours maybe to far gone so a new floor may be in order.
Without really seeing everything you have first hand it is really hard to say what the best course of action will be. I think you will have to have some pros come take a look and get there suggestions. None of what you have been considering will be cheap however as most is all best done by the pros and not really DIY friendly
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Semi Finishing Basement-Advice Please

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:26 pm

I did not read all of Shannon's response, so forgive me if some of this is a repeat.

Water comes from the outside and needs to be dealt with from the outside, could be as simple as regrading the soil or redirecting the downspouts, or as complex as digging out the walls and installing proper drainage and resealing the exterior surface.

As for interior, repointing will certainly dress up any cracking or failing joints in the walls. The floor can either be polished or painted, both will achieve similar effects at drastically different costs, your choice.

Good luck with your project, please keep us informed on your progress. 8-)