question about the size of a door

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
tylim

question about the size of a door

Post by tylim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi, I have a storage room outside of my house (so I guess its door is considered an exterior door). I want to change the door. When I measure the door itself (not the opening), it is 32 in across. When I go to Lowes, the 32 in door they have is actually more like 31.75 in or so.

I do not believe there is such a door that is exactly 32 in. I understand the paint coatings may contribute to the width a little but I don't think it will be that much. I was wondering if the 31.75 in door would actually work for me. Wouldn't there be a gap?

Many thanks!
Attachments
0710172008.jpg
0710172008.jpg (338.32 KiB) Viewed 51 times

Shannon

Re: question about the size of a door

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Most likely you could make that door at lowes work but you will for sure have a extra 1/8 gap on each side compared to what your existing door has. You will need to shim the hinges to push the new door over enough.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

tylim

Post by tylim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 pm

so there is a door that is exactly 32 in across? where could I possibly find such a door? It doesn't look like home depot or lowes have it (It is not a "normal" door then?)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:47 pm

If you're buying a prehung door, it will be slightly undersized from the designation. If you're buying a slab, then it should be pretty darned close to the actual designated size, not undersized.

Shopping at a big box is always a crap shoot whether or not you'll be able to find what you need. The truth of the matter is, they carry whatever is the most modern and popular that they can buy cheaply and sell for a premium. You will have better luck at a door supplier than you will at a big box.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:35 am

This is a steal door with wood stiles and they are usually undersized like the one you found at 31-3/4". Your original door is maybe on the older side and i have found many of them were closer to an exact full size
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon