Dead Outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
tjweeks

Dead Outlet

Post by tjweeks » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:39 pm

I only have one outside electrical outlet-right outside the front door. I had a saw plugged into it recently and it just went dead. I opened outlet and it looked ok. Next I went inside and opened up the next outlet just inside the door thinking something might have come loose. I tightened everything up and also bought a new plug and installed it where the first one died. Still no power. There is only one line of wire coming into the dead so I am assuming it must be the last on the line. Could I be overlooking something. There is a double light switch at the door also but I did not look at it because it was higher up -maybe 3 ft- than the other switches. If there might be a loose wire in the light switch receptacle would it be right inside that box or maybe coming back down from the outside light that it controls. I would like to do this myself if possible so any help would really be appreciated. Thank You, tjweeks

A. Spruce

Re: Dead Outlet

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:04 pm

All outlets that are exposed to moisture must be GFCI protected. So, any exterior outlet, bathroom outlet, and outlets near the kitchen sink will be GFCI protected. The way this is typically done is to install one GFCI or breaker, and feed all needed outlets from there.

Common places to find a GFCI outlet will be a bathroom, kitchen, garage, or patio area, a GFCI breaker will be in the service panel. A popped GFCI is most likely your problem, locate them and reset them.

Aaron

Re: Dead Outlet

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Yeah Spruce is right, look for a tripped GFCI somewhere in your house. My sister had a dead receptacle in her basement and the trouble ended up being a tripped GFCI receptacle in her garage that fed that receptacle in her basement! Took a LONG time to hunt that down.