1 Piece Tub Shower Drain Install

Ask your bathroom related questions here
MindBender

1 Piece Tub Shower Drain Install

Post by MindBender » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm going to be installing a 1 piece shower tub onto a concrete floor with open stud walls on three sides.

I will have to use mortar to support base as the unit I purchased has no legs - only a front flange.

I have figured out most of the install but haven't thought of a good way to connect the drain.

So far, I'm thinking I should put tub in place, level front flange, dry fit drain, take measurements of drain alignment, adjust drain lengths, mark and glue up drain. Put sand/cement mortar mounds in, lean tub back into final position, and screw in drain top.

Is this the right approach for this scenario? Or is there a simpler way - it sure is more complicated then installing on a floor where you can easily access the bottom.

Shannon

Re: 1 Piece Tub Shower Drain Install

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 am

Ya that is the best way. Its always a lot of messing around and taking the tub in and out a few times. Installing on a wood floor with basement below is usually easier as you generally have access from the basement to do all the connections.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:36 pm

Sure is Shannon - what has made it a bit worse is that the type of Shower Tub has no back legs, just a front flange only - makes it a more delicate operation. Worried I might break bottom flange with all the moving in and out. Not too sure how much abuse the bottom flange can take as it is quite thin. Almost tempted to build some kind of dolly to make it a bit easier, but I have not figured out a good design!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:10 am

Yes some tubs have a thin front apron and require a little more care or two people to lift and move tub.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon