Adding flooring to concrete

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Leftside

Adding flooring to concrete

Post by Leftside » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:53 am

Hi all, I would like to add flooring to this room. The room has carpet on top of concrete slab. The room's floor is also lower than the rest of the house.

I'd like to raise the floor by adding 2x4s, sheathing and then tiles. Is this possible?

Can I just glue the 2x4s to the concrete? I am concerned that screwing them in will weaken the concrete which is only a few inches thick.

Here is a pic:

Shannon

Re: Adding flooring to concrete

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 pm

It is possible for sure construction adhesive should work but really once the 2x4s are installed and if you install a couple rows of blocking between them and add the plywood it should be pretty sturdy. If the concrete is not to flat you will need to shim low areas to stop the 2x4s from flexing when people walk on them.
Tile floors usually are required to have 1" of plywood under them or use an uncoupling membrane over min. 5/8" plywood with joists 16" o.c. This should prevent cracking or broken tiles
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks Shannon, I will have to do some research on the membrane. Os there an advantage to using membrane over plywood?

Also, do I frame the joists up against the studs in the wall? So i would build a box with 2x4s then put the joists inside like i was framing a wall? Or just run the joists along the footers in the wall?

Thanks again.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 pm

The advantage is usually you can get a thinner overall floor thickness in the case where you have existing 5/8" or 3/4" plywood you either would normally add 1/2" plywood over it or add the 1/4" membrane which is usually closed set to 3/8 including the thunder used to lay it.

Yes build the floor just like a wall .also use joist hangers
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 am

So the issue that I see mow is that the new floor may be higher than the existing floor in the home. This is assuming i use 2x4, 1 inch plywood and then lay the tile down on top.

What can I do to try and make the floor level with the homes existing flooring? Can I use 2x2s (or similar) instead of 2x4s?

Also, what is this thunder?

Thx.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:51 am

So how much higher are we talking?
Oh that was a mistake, that should have been thin set mortar.
Also a correction on the Ditra thickness it is available in 5/16" and 1/8" thick. Usually the thin set mortar bed used to place the Ditra would add about 1/8" extra thickness.

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:16 am

Well the 2x4 and 1inch plywood meet the height of the original floor. The membrane, mortar and tile would all exceed the height.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Ok so if you use membrane you do not need 1" plywood, you would need a min. of 5/8" T&G plywood with the joists at 16" O.C. So I would say that you could cut the 2x4s down to what you think you need, but you need to be sure they are shimmed or tight to the concrete every 2' so there is no movement.

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks Shannon, I assume I have to remove the carpet, right? Any chance I can leave it since it is glued on?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm

No, pull it up for sure if you get moisture in there you will be sorry you left it.