Electric nail guns

DutchAndyAnderson

Electric nail guns

Post by DutchAndyAnderson » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi, I love your videos. I would like to by a good quality electric framing nail gun. Any suggestions?

Shannon

Re: Electric nail guns

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:51 pm

fully electric (battery operated) units are coming out more now but I personally have never used one . Dewalt and Milwaukee are the two I know of.
I personally use a Paslode gas/battery powered unit and like it a lot. It uses butane gas cells to power the charge that drives the plunger and battery for the ignition point and fan that clears the excess gas .
I would like to try the battery operated ones sometime to see the real differences.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:57 pm

I have not used an electric nailer. I tend to be slow to new technologies because they are usually very lackluster against the tried and true pneumatic versions. The gas version that Shannon mentions is a definite contender.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 am

Sure beats getting out a compressor and a bunch of hose. I have a 18 gauge gas nailer now as well. for small and med. sized jobs.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:15 pm

One of the guys at work had the Dewalt one which I tried out a few times. It seemed to work just fine but I have no idea how longer the batteries last on them. I'd imagine they need a fair amount more charging than the Padlodes would.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 pm

How quick can you keep firing nails? close to the same as an air unit? I suspect not?

DanM

Post by DanM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:18 pm

It's about the same as a Paslode, you have to wait a sec between nails. Definitely nowhere as fast as an airgun but good enough for most situations.

MLWDIS

Post by MLWDIS » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:20 am

I tried the Milwaukee electric. Garbage at best.
Heavy to deal with all day.
The jam rate is so far out of acceptable range.
I returned it 2 days later.
I use the Pasload gun. It is at a comfortable weight.
Mis-fires are at an acceptable rate.
The complaint I hear often fuel usage, cost, and maintenance.
I don't see the problem. It is billed in the job. Its called operating expenses.
If it is really a big job and I already have my air compressor out. I will use my air nailers.
By the way, I am armored to the teeth with Milwaukee equipment. I love Milwaukee tools.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Interesting ...I am Milwaukee strings well and have been considering getting a new brad or framing nailer of hers but this is good info you gave. I have seen and held them in store and also figured they where pretty heavy and the balance was kinda wonky.
With Paslode gas be careful with the expired dates stamped on the cylinders. If the date gets even close they do not work as well. You will swear something is wrong with the nailer but its bad gas! :lol: :lol: :shock:

DanM

Post by DanM » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:01 pm

One bonus about these electric guns that I learned today is that they don't freeze up when it's really cold out. The Paslode gas will freeze up and they don't shoot. I've constantly got one gas in the gun, one somewhere warm, and I have to swap between them (way too often when it's -30 out). So that's a pretty good bonus if you happen to be working outside constantly.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I've seen the Paslode in action. Guy that I know that is a framer has one.
He did some work with me at my place, replacing all the sheathing on the roof. That thing rocked.
I have the Paslode pneumatic, and he was faster than me (that says nothing about the tool thou :mrgreen:)

The guy he works for wants to get the dewalt battery powered one. If he does, I'll pass on how it performs.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm

DanM wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:01 pm
One bonus about these electric guns that I learned today is that they don't freeze up when it's really cold out. The Paslode gas will freeze up and they don't shoot. I've constantly got one gas in the gun, one somewhere warm, and I have to swap between them (way too often when it's -30 out). So that's a pretty good bonus if you happen to be working outside constantly.
Yes the gas does not work great below -20 or so but neither do I anymore😉. I used to keep one inside my hoodie pocket closer to my body heat.