Measure with precision over long runs

KeepTryin

Measure with precision over long runs

Post by KeepTryin » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:27 pm

Let me start by giving you an example of what I'm struggling with. I have rake fascia that is roughly 16' long. I am covering it with a single, PVC, plank. There is one angle at the ridge and another (plumb) angle at the eaves.
I've tried several approaches. As an example, I screwed a template onto the house at the top of the rake (matching the required angle) and another template at the bottom. I measure the distance between them, then take the templates to my workpiece. I screw one template to the backside of the workpiece, then screw the second template a distance equaling what I measured when the templates were attached to the house. I mark my workpiece using the templates as a guide and use those marks to make my cuts.
It seemed like a good way to go, but I'm often off by a little (1/8" - 1/4").
It's frustrating, because I feel like I'm being as careful as I can, but not getting the results I'd like.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

A. Spruce

Re: Measure with precision over long runs

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm

There is no need to be measuring your cut angle templates as part of your overall measurement. Simply measure from the peak point to the plumb cut heel, transfer those measurements to your piece to be cut, then use your templates to mark your angles.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

KeepTryin

Post by KeepTryin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Thank you A.Spruce.
I see what you're suggesting.
To clarify, I don't (re)measure the templates themselves--just the distance between them.
So, when working alone, do you use a nail to hold the end of a tape? It's difficult to precisely place a nail at the heel of an angle, so sometimes I measure off an inch before placing the nail, then add the inch back in to my final measurement. Is there a better way?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Yes, a nail works as a 3rd hand when needed, similarly, you can clamp or screw a block even with one end of your board on which to hook your tape measure. Another way is to remove the existing board and use it as your template for the new board. Whatever method gets the results you're looking for is the one to use.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.