big flat head drill bit to turn drill into a big screwdriver

andrepartthree

big flat head drill bit to turn drill into a big screwdriver

Post by andrepartthree » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:36 am

Hi there :) ... brand new to the forum so my apologies if this question has been asked elsewhere (if so, if someone could point me in the direction of the thread where it was answered that would be great :) )

I recently purchased a " Bosch Power Tools Drill Kit "" model PS31-2A , 12 volt cordless drill ... first drill I've ever had and first time using it I literally had to look up instructions on youtube re: how to put the drill bit in and that was after reading the instructions that came with the manual :P

We live in Florida where the screws already installed into the outside of our house walls are "flat head screws".. that is, there is a long "slit" in the screw you could fit a rectangle shaped head (flat head) screwdriver into... in the past we had to loosen those screws the old fashioned way, go after them with a flat head screwdriver and struggle with the screw until the screw unscrewed enough from the wall such that we could get the shutter in under the screw, put the shutter (hurricane shutters, metal kind you put over your windows - we live in Florida, great weather when there's not a hurricane bearing down on us :P ) on under the screw so to speak, tighten the screw over the shutter such that the shutter is secured into place.

The flat head bit that came with the cordless drill has been great, made this a lot easier. in that it basically turned the drill into a powered screwdriver.. there's only one problem... the groove in the screws is kind of big, more so than the length of the 1/4th inch "head" part of the drill bit that comes into contact with the screw itself... I've searched the internet in vain for sellers that sell a larger drill bit, larger in that the rectangular part of the flat head drill bit is bigger than 1/4th of an inch and can basically fit into the groove of the screw better (like say a 1/2 inch size would be fantastic, 3/4th inch or 1 inch even better). As it is now the drill works with a certain amount of "finesse" but a "larger" drill bit with a "bigger rectangular head that comes into contact with the area screwed" would be fantastic.

So here's the dumb question ... anybody know what the official "name" is of a drill bit like that so I can have an easier time looking it up on the internet? Also does Home Depot sell it? ( I live close by to Home Depot but not Lowes) ... If not that's okay I can do a google search and try to get it online, amazon maybe... I just need to know what I'm looking for :)

Thanks very much to anyone who reads this and takes the time to answer it's greatly appreciated :) ..

A. Spruce

Re: big flat head drill bit to turn drill into a big screwdriver

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:57 am

Super sized screwdriver tips are not something commonly found. You might try searching for hurricane shutter manfacturers to see if they sell larger screwdrivers/tips for the screws on their products, if not, buy a regular style, supersized, screwdriver and cut the shank to make your own. An alternative would be to see if a spade style drill bit would fit the slot of the screws, if it does, then grind off the sharp pointy bits to turn it into a flat head screw driver tip.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:54 pm

I actually would recommend you remove all those old fashioned finger splitting slot head screws and replace them with something with a hex head that you can use a nut driver style bit to loosen and tighten without the slipping and stabbing common with using slotted screws. You will really like these 100% over the slotted screw. They come in all kinds of finishes and length and diameters to fit you needs and they have a nice sized head that will prevent your shutters form ever pulling out.

Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 1.50.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-25 at 1.50.30 PM.png (41.56 KiB) Viewed 135 times

https://www.amazon.com/Ornamental-Wood- ... 457&sr=8-4
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

andrepartthree

Post by andrepartthree » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Thank you both so much for your replies and so quickly too on the same day and on xmas to boot you guys rock ! :) (showed the drill to my wife last night and tested it out on the screws on the shutters this morning which is why I'm posting this on xmas day of all times :P)

... guys since I'm new to the forum if someone posts after this and I don't reply it's only because I don't know how to turn on the auto-notification thing so I get an email saying someone posted on this (I'm forgetful I admit it :P ... it should occur to me to check my posts on forums every day automatically but I don't) ... at least now I know that the bit head I'm looking for isn't common - those are are excellent suggestions A.Spruce but sadly I do not have the equipment I would use to make those adjustments to metal :( (I'm guessing it would require some sort of super power saw or a blowtorch to weaken the metal or something along those lines? Again, total newb here as far as all of this :) ) ...

Shannon thank you so much for the suggestion :) ... I'm going to have to look into that , I guess measure the diameter/thickness of the current screws in there and see if they have a similar sized version with that amazon link ... that's an amazing suggestion too I don't know why I didn't think of that ! :)

Again many thanks to you both :) ...

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:12 pm

I absolutely agree with Shannon, use some modern screws. Flathead screws ought to have been abolished decades ago.

Bring one of those screws with you to a hardware store or Home Depot or whatever, and find a suitable substitute with a hex head and a drill driver socket bit you can use.

You will never look back at a flathead screw again.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:51 pm

andrepartthree wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:03 pm
A.Spruce but sadly I do not have the equipment I would use to make those adjustments to metal :( (I'm guessing it would require some sort of super power saw or a blowtorch to weaken the metal or something along those lines? Again, total newb here as far as all of this :) ) ...
Shannon's idea of changing out the screws is probably the best way to go.

As for modifying a screwdriver or drill bit, you'd need at least an angle grinder to cut or grind the items. You could probably use a hacksaw, but you'd be at it a while. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:02 am

So to subscribe to your topic simply look for the small wrench icon beside the "Post Reply" tab below the Quick Reply box. Click that and then click "subscribe topic"
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon