screw discussion

emtnut

screw discussion

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:22 am

Shannon wrote:Glad you got it. One very minor thing... and this is only because of my OCD.... I like to have all my cover plate screws pointing one way. Its a little thing but I think it looks more professional.
Shannon ... It's not OCD !!! ... It's CDO, put the letters in order !!

EMTNUT
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Re: Replace 2 light switches with a dimmer switch and a time

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:46 am

Alphabetical ,lol
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Yeah I orient the screws so the slot is vertical.

What? They don't use Robertson-head screws for cover plates up in Canada? Isn't it illegal to use any other kind of screw up there? lol

Glad I was able to contribute the most important information in this long complex thread. lol. I've been super busy this past couple weeks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah I orient the screws so the slot is vertical.

What? They don't use Robertson-head screws for cover plates up in Canada? Isn't it illegal to use any other kind of screw up there? lol

Glad I was able to contribute the most important information in this long complex thread. lol. I've been super busy this past couple weeks.
I like the slots vertical as well, glad I'm not the only OCD person out there.
I wish we used robertsons for that , it would be one less screw driver to have in the electrical tool box. We use a "green" robertson/flat combination for the device screws so you always have a green robertson. No kidding aside I think the flats should be outlawed, I guess you guys are maybe more used to them down there but I hate the darn things. I have damaged more stuff cause my flat driver slips out then I can count, especially my own skin!! LOL
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:15 pm

Yeah I can't believe they're still around either. All the devices down here have combo Robertson-flathead too. Before that change (I'd guess early 2000s) all electrical devices used flathead screws!

Use a power driver with a flathead bit and you'll be sent to the hospital for sure. lol

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:27 am

Aaron wrote:Yeah I orient the screws so the slot is vertical.

I'll do either vertical or horizontal ... but they all have to be the same :)

The latest screw I've been seeing are robertson/phillips/slot. Canada/US friendly

and let's face it, when all the tools are put away, all anyone sees are the screws... we hide all our nice wiring !

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:31 pm

BTW... Glad you were just busy Aaron, I was thinking maybe you came down with the flu ... Been lots of cases around my area, and it's a pretty bad one from what I hear.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:37 pm

The vertical screw orientation just looks really good for some reason, but yeah if it isn't tight enough and twisting the screw another 180 degrees is too tight, then I suppose settling for horizontal is second best.

I'm actually surprised those screwless covers haven't taken off. I guess being at least double the price they're just not cost-effective. I don't think their appearance is remarkably better, either, actually.

I think the best screw head is probably Torx (the one that looks like an asterix), but it's really only practical for high-torque tight-fitting fastening, like deck screws (hence its name, I'm sure). The Robertson is really all-purpose, and it's vastly superior to phillips. Plus the square head looks cool in my opinion. If only Robertson hadn't been so greedy we'd all be using his design.

Nope, no flu. I got my flu shot last month which I never normally do. Not sure I'll do it again because a couple people I know got sick from it. I just had a very sore arm for three days. I haven't had the flu in years.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:46 am

Aaron wrote: I think the best screw head is probably Torx (the one that looks like an asterix), but it's really only practical for high-torque tight-fitting fastening, like deck screws (hence its name, I'm sure). The Robertson is really all-purpose, and it's vastly superior to phillips. Plus the square head looks cool in my opinion. If only Robertson hadn't been so greedy we'd all be using his design.
Torx seems to be popping up on alot of equipment... Used to only see it on vehicles.
Makes the tool bag heavy ..
Nut Drivers -lots of 'em !
Phillips 1,2,3
Robertson yellow green red black
Torx T5 to T40
Phillips 1,2,3
And an assortment of slotted

The thing that's best with Robertson is it sticks to the bit ... even when upside down. I wasn't aware of any expensive copywright issues though !

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:40 pm

Yeah Robertson patented the design, and the licensing was either very expensive or nonexistent. They monopolized their design, which apparently worked in Canada but here in the US manufacturers weren't having it. I think I read the history somewhere, it might be on Wikipedia.

Short-sighted if you ask me. Imagine the success had he only licensed it with reasonable terms.

I think the patent has probably expired or perhaps copycat screws can be made without the Robertson name because I see them called "square drive". I also haven't come across those color-coded Robertson screwdrivers in any stores, though I'm sure I could order them online.

It's an awesome design. I'm glad electrical stuff uses it, at least. I use black-coated drywall screws with that head too, as well as those awesome wafer-head cabinet screws I posted a month or so ago.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:31 pm

The square drive is actually slightly different so as to not infringe on the patent likely. Square drive does not have the slight taper in the head like a Robertson. That is what keeps a Robertson screw stuck to a Robertson screw driver so well.

Shannon

Re: screw discussion

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:59 am

Did a little house cleaning and moved us over :D

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:25 pm

I'm not so sure there's a difference between Robertson and square drive, at least not anymore. Here's pic I took of my beloved cabinet screw sticking to the bit, and the bit itself.

The one thing there may be a difference with is the size specification of the head and bit. Robertson seems to use a color system (yellow, green, red) and square drive uses a number system (#1, #2, #3).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:45 pm

Hmm interesting.
Robertson uses a # system as well for the sizes.
Orange (#00) for #1 ,#2 screws
Yellow (#0) for #3,#4 screws
Green (#1) for #5,#6,#7 screws
Red (#2) for #8,#9,#10 screws
Black (#3) for #12 + screws

I have never even seen a orange handled one ,I own all the rest but green,red, are most commonly used and Black now and again.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 am

Oh well maybe the color scheme is patented? I dunno. Whatever! lol