Cutting out the opening for a shed door

Blaiz

Cutting out the opening for a shed door

Post by Blaiz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:17 pm

So I've been working on a shed (great videos, Shannon!), and I need to cut out the openings for a couple of doors.

I cut the siding out for the smaller door but I had a lot of trouble with it. My circular saw is massive, probably from the sixties (thank you Dad), and doesn't have the nifty handle on the front to help guide and hold. So my saw weebled and wobbled, my arm cramped, and my wrist made many protests. I had to set the circular saw aside before I ended up dropping it on my toes.

I finished up that doorframe with my reciprocating saw, which cut the T1-11 like butter, but I couldn't hold a straight line, and the cut looks like I'd been drinking heavily while playing with power tools.

The point of this post is that the other framed opening needs a couple of pieces of siding cut back to the frame so I can install my new doors (great videos, Shannon!), but I am awfully nervous about making those cuts....

So does anyone have some tips for the rookie? Ideas on how to cut a straight line in midair? I'd appreciate your ideas!

Shannon

Re: Cutting out the opening for a shed door

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:29 am

What if you cut with the recip saw from the inside with a long blade. That way you can use the framing as a guild to keep the blade running straight. Other option is buying a new circsaw with some of the money you saved by building this shed yourself! :D
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon