First saw for DIY projects

Navin

First saw for DIY projects

Post by Navin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:25 am

Hello, I am thinking about buying a saw. I see so many options circular, reciprocating, table... Which is the one I should buy considering I am beginner DIY guy?

Aaron

Re: fist saw for DIY projects

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 am

It really depends on what you're going to be cutting. A circular saw is usually a pretty good basic power tool to have.

I used (and continue to use on occassion) a hand saw (both wood and hacksaw) to do very quick and basic cuts of PVC, ABS, or EMT pipe and conduit.

A powered mitre saw is great for making nice perfect chops of lumber, not to mention all the mitre joints you might make. But you can use a circular saw to cut lumber too. And you'll need a circular saw for sheet wood like plywood and OSB.

So I'd say that your immediate need should dictate what saw you choose.

A. Spruce

Re: First saw for DIY projects

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 pm

A circular saw is probably the most used and versatile saw, though, as Aaron said, your needs are what will dictate your purchase.

A question that should go hand in hand with what saw is should you buy corded or cordless? If you will only use the saw once in a while, then go corded, while it is more inconvenient to have to plug in, it will work when you need it to. Cordless tools MUST be used for their batteries to maintain and hold a charge. Leaving batteries lying around at full charge for weeks and months on end will kill them in short order.

If you go cordless, purchasing kits with several tools is cheaper than buying individual tools. Stick with one brand and voltage, as this will make battery charging and swapping much easier. Drill drivers have come a long way and have many features, choose one (as part of a kit ) that has the features you need, such as torque adjustment, work light, hammer drill setting, or impact capability. The more you spend, the more features the tools are going to have.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:31 pm

For plug-in skilsaws I prefer Porter Cable but DeWalt's are good as are Makita's. And for your first saw I'd get a plug-in model as it has enough power for everything and you won't have the hassles of keeping batteries charged or their expense, and it will last you a lifetime. Later on as your job scope increases you'll wind up getting some cordless tools and by then you'll know whether a cordless skilsaw is good for you or not.

And if you really get into woodworking, you'll wind up with so many tools that divorce become a real possibility, but most of us find a way to avoid that :D

Phil

FrankRd

Post by FrankRd » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:18 am

Table saw! I think Grizzly is a great choice. I bought one recently and I started some small projects . I think it could be usefull to you. I recommend you to try the wall shelf and the Storage box.