Shop at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca (for anything)? Use this link...

Shannon

Shop at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca (for anything)? Use this link...

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:25 pm

We have a new House-Improvements "tool".

You have noticed in our videos we try our best to cover up brand names on tools and such because we are not linked directly to them or supported by them and try to stay brand neutral but we get questions all the time here in the forum asking for advice about our preferences or even what tool brand/model we used in certain videos. We are glad to hand over any advice we can here in the forum and give honest feedback on our opinions about them, so it is non bias as much as possible. We now are offering Amazon affiliate links that you can use when searching or purchasing tools from Amazon.

Here is our link to Amazon.com:
https://amzn.to/2kAyuv2

And the link to Amazon.ca:
https://amzn.to/2qGZnya

Whether you buy books, diapers, groceries, electronics, tools, or literally anything, if you use those links before adding to cart and checking out, we get a small commission of the sale at no cost to you.

We are affiliated through these links with Amazon and will receive a small commission from Amazon for any sales you make using our link. So the link is completely run buy Amazon and all sales are handled by Amazon completely. Please give it a try if you like and let us know what you think of us trying this.

Thanks.

NOTE: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

RICHat22

Re: Shop at Amazon.com? Use this link

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 pm

I buy a LOT through Amazon since I'm rural. I buy anything I can locally, with cash. Next step is emergency or from next town over big box. Anything else comes from Amazon. I'll see what I can buy through that link. Thanks.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:39 pm

You can use that link to go ahead and buy anything. Diapers, tools, anything Amazon sells, as long as you click that link first, then go buy the items, we get a small commission. Thanks.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:56 pm

That's awesome. Will do.

A. Spruce

Re: Shop at Amazon? Use this link

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:01 pm

That's the great thing about this set up, it costs the buyer absolutely nothing and you're helping to support the site by doing so. Win/win for everyone! 8-)

I also think you guys worry too much about recommending tools. You know what you like, you know what will get the job done, and you know the value of quality over price. Don't be ashamed to say that your Milwaukee such and such or your DeWalt thingamajig is your favorite tool for the purposes you use them for. In fact, I think you should actually be more vocal about the dark side of tools, the cheap gray market (harbor freight, et.al. ) and crap names such as Ryobi. Tools like these are cheap for a reason, because they are inferior quality, poorly made, etc., a crappy tool won't do the job you want it to the way it should, you won't enjoy using it, and it's dangerous for the very same reasons. Now, having said this, there are times and places for cheap, "disposable" tools, but never as part of your primary tool collection. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:14 pm

I agree with Spruce. While I don't fault you for not giving away free advertising on your videos, I will tell someone in a minute what's cheap crap. I always buy name brand first. I will check reviews for features or weak points. And watch for people that don't have any business owning tools. But higher price and name brand will typically result in better quality. My brands on Snap-On, Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Porter Cable on the type tools we use here. Never been unhappy, some are over 20 years old.

doirondon

Post by doirondon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Have a '.ca' affiliation?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:07 pm

A. Spruce wrote:I also think you guys worry too much about recommending tools. You know what you like, you know what will get the job done, and you know the value of quality over price. Don't be ashamed to say that your Milwaukee such and such or your DeWalt thingamajig is your favorite tool for the purposes you use them for.
I'm not so sure it's a worry; it's more of the fact that it's sort of irrelevant to the DIY task being demonstrated. Unless the company that makes the tool sponsors the production of the video for product placement, there's no reason to show off its brand. In fact, not displaying brands may entice various companies to take notice and offer product placement business deals in the future (as Home Depot did when Shannon demonstrated the Rigid tile saw). Otherwise if you don't hide the brand, you are just giving away free advertising which could foil opportunities in the future.

You actually see this a lot in movies and TV shows--they will cover the brand. But you can tell what it is most often anyway. Famous example are iPhones and MacBooks--they will cover the glowing Apple logo on the lid of the computer, even though it's so obvious that it's a MacBook Pro.
A. Spruce wrote:In fact, I think you should actually be more vocal about the dark side of tools, the cheap gray market (harbor freight, et.al. ) and crap names such as Ryobi. Tools like these are cheap for a reason, because they are inferior quality, poorly made, etc., a crappy tool won't do the job you want it to the way it should, you won't enjoy using it, and it's dangerous for the very same reasons. Now, having said this, there are times and places for cheap, "disposable" tools, but never as part of your primary tool collection. 8-)
Yeah, I'm not sure they will make such a video because that's not their aim... their aim is to show stuff being built or fixed. Plus it would be a liability to speak ill of tool brands and stuff. Perhaps just a vague statement like, "Be sure to get a good quality pair of pliers" or something would be innocuous enough.

As for Ryobi, I agree... The only Ryobi product that I bought and seems to work fine is a circular saw. The cordless drill was crap, but I think it's more my fault for just not using it enough and charging it properly. It's stigmatized me of cordless devices, unfortunately. I feel like the batteries just go to crap, and the cost of a new battery is the same as the cost of a new tool with a new battery which makes no sense at all.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:59 pm

doirondon wrote:Have a '.ca' affiliation?
No, it's an entirely different "store" as far as they're concerned.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:54 am

Since you're set up with Amazon US maybe Amazon CA will be inclined to do this for you as well. It's a win-win thing for everybody to be sure!

As an aside, we all know that Tom Silva used many "Festool" brand tools through the years but always covered or hid the label, In fact he did that with almost all of his power tools. When DeWalt began sponsoring the show those DeWalt labels became visible, and on seeing he value of that Festool finally jumped on board too. So there truly is a value in covering or hiding those labels.

I have a different perspective on tool recommendations. While we all love the great ones, the cost can be a deterrent to those just entering the trades or those who will only do a few simple DIY projects with them. If you're going to use it a lot it needs to be good; if you're only going to use it occasionally then buying lesser brands like Ryobi or Black & Decker will allow you to have more tools that will be adequate or more money to buy the specific better tool(s) you need now. You can always upgrade later as your project scope or job calls for without lacking something in the interim as the old tool becomes a back-up or something you can gift to a friend. And some of the cheap tools are much better than the price would indicate; I have some Harbor Freight power tools that are fully equal to all but the very best names out there! But not all (in fact not many) of the cheap power tools can be a bargain like that so you have to know which is which and buy accordingly or stay with the better brands to ensure you get your money's worth.

I'd love for everyone to have a Festool Capex, but even most of us Pro's can't afford one so we use something else which does what we need almost as well so we're all in that same boat too.

Phil

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Fixed the first post. We now support Amazon.ca also.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat May 20, 2017 12:12 am

Just a word of caution, I heard that Amazon terminates Associate relationships if they find that you are telling people that you are supported by the associate link, it apparently is a TOS violation. :(

I was listening to Sam Harris' podcast, and he was dismayed they shut him down. Now all he has is Patreon and his partnership with Audible.

Tread lightly.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 am

Admins posts says WE support THEM so I think we are ok?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat May 20, 2017 9:49 am

Aaron wrote:Just a word of caution, I heard that Amazon terminates Associate relationships if they find that you are telling people that you are supported by the associate link, it apparently is a TOS violation...
I've been an affiliate with them for 15 years now and never heard of that. I will check.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat May 20, 2017 11:18 am

Here's what the rules state:
You will not misrepresent or embellish our relationship with you (including by expressing or implying that we support, sponsor, or endorse you), or express or imply any affiliation between us and you or any other person or entity except as expressly permitted by this Agreement.
We are small fries to them, I don't think we misrepresented or embellished but just to be on the safe side I edited the thread title.

A. Spruce

Re: Shop at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca (for anything)? Use this link...

Post by A. Spruce » Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Small fish or not, they don't tend to need any reason at all to terminate a relationship. Best just to post links as appropriate, let everything be and stay organic. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

AntonWalker

Post by AntonWalker » Tue May 23, 2017 2:35 am

Awesome I will support you :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 23, 2017 7:21 am

AntonWalker wrote:Awesome I will support you :)
thanks Anton!

DelS

Post by DelS » Fri May 26, 2017 6:58 am

This is great new Shannon. I'll be using the link for sure.
Thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 26, 2017 7:39 pm

DelS wrote:This is great new Shannon. I'll be using the link for sure.
Thanks

thank you!

rmajor55

Post by rmajor55 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:34 pm

I wish I saw this before this morning, I just ordered and new laminate trimmer and some driver bits from amazon. I order a lot from amazon and will keep your link in mind for future purchases.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon May 29, 2017 8:54 pm

rmajor55 wrote:I wish I saw this before this morning, I just ordered and new laminate trimmer and some driver bits from amazon. I order a lot from amazon and will keep your link in mind for future purchases.

Thank you!

DelS

Post by DelS » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:34 am

Hi Shannon,
You asked us to report back on what we think of using the link. At first it was a job to find the link as it is buried in the forums so I had to search for it. But once I bookmarked the forum page it is easy peasy to use the amazon. And I've done so several times in the last few weeks.
Would it be possible to move the link to someplace more easily seen? It could possibly mean more users.
Thanks for everything you do to help us all out.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:22 am

DelS wrote:Hi Shannon,
You asked us to report back on what we think of using the link. At first it was a job to find the link as it is buried in the forums so I had to search for it. But once I bookmarked the forum page it is easy peasy to use the amazon. And I've done so several times in the last few weeks.
Would it be possible to move the link to someplace more easily seen? It could possibly mean more users.
Thanks for everything you do to help us all out.
Thank you very much for the feed back, we absolutely love to know when things are working and when they are not for our viewers. We have placed the links in this topic right at the top of this ""tool" section. It should always be there. Is it not appearing that way? Maybe we should have it at the top of every section? What do you think? Thank you for using the links.

DelS

Post by DelS » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:24 am

That's perfect. Easy to see and it won't move.

DelS

Post by DelS » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:28 am

Lol, obviously I was working way harder to find it than I needed to. Besides that everything else I said stands. I know better now.
Thanks again

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Thanks very much for using the link!

tpirovol

Post by tpirovol » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:25 pm

If you live in the GTA and want stuff from amazon.com use cross boarder pickups. They are really good and make it possible to use amazon.com for reasonable shipping to the GTA. Example was a Radon lid for $120 all in delivery and taxes meanwhile the same thing would have cost $260 in Canada.

Good Luck!
T

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Does this link suppose to saw in the search bar when clicked. Because I purchase something using the link but it just said amazon.com. just wanna make sure I'm actually supporting

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Yes it is an affiliate link. You still directly deal with Amazon. Thanks for the support