Electrical fitting locknut wrenches

Aaron

Electrical fitting locknut wrenches

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:48 pm

I noticed this cute little set of electrical fitting locknut wrenches at the store earlier this afternoon, for easily tightening or loosening locknuts in steel junction boxes. I can usually manage to get them pretty tight with just needle nose, or even pounding the lugs of the nut with a flat-head screwdriver and hammer. But these are way more efficient to use. I was tempted to get them but they were something like $12-$14 so I was just "meh" and put them back.
IMG_5706.jpg
IMG_5706.jpg (339.25 KiB) Viewed 484 times

A. Spruce

Re: Electrical fitting locknut wrenches

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Sadly, I suspect that those are more gimick than game. It's a nice idea, but like you said, who doesn't have a set of channel locks or other pliers in their tool pouch already, this is just more crap to take up space in the tool box.

BTW, smacking a screwdriver with a hammer is in direct violation of the tool use code of ethics! :shock: :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:57 pm

A. Spruce wrote:Sadly, I suspect that those are more gimick than game. It's a nice idea, but like you said, who doesn't have a set of channel locks or other pliers in their tool pouch already, this is just more crap to take up space in the tool box.
Yeah besides taking space, it would be one of those things where I would NEVER have it when I need it and would never find it when I go searching for it, then I would just get pissed off. :x

What makes it appealing, though, is its precision. You can very easily slip it into a crowded box and tighten or loosen a nut. Channellocks work but they can be clumsy.

However, these certainly don't help you tightening locknuts perpendicularly. Nor do Channellocks. I usually open a pair of needle nose wide and use the two jaws to engage the lugs on the locknut and turn the pliers.
A. Spruce wrote:BTW, smacking a screwdriver with a hammer is in direct violation of the tool use code of ethics! :shock: :mrgreen:
Isn't that all flat-head screwdrivers are good for? Makeshift cold chisels and pry bars. lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 am

Aaron wrote:Yeah besides taking space, it would be one of those things where I would NEVER have it when I need it and would never find it when I go searching for it, then I would just get pissed off. :x
That's where organization comes in. Back in my working days, my truck had bed boxes and tools had specific locations. On top of that, I usually had individual portable toolboxes with specialty items, like the box I carried that had all the basics needed for pulling a circuit and wiring up a switch or outlet, it is here that I'd keep such a device. It was never a matter of "where in the hell is it?", it was, "damn, why didn't I bring that box today?!?!?" LOL :lol:
Aaron wrote:What makes it appealing, though, is its precision. You can very easily slip it into a crowded box and tighten or loosen a nut. Channellocks work but they can be clumsy.
While appealing, not appealing enough to warrant the cost, besides, when was the last time you needed to remove a lock nut without taking everything out of the box anyway? How else ya gonna undo all the spaghetti inside the box, to remove the nut, to remove the wire, all in the house that Jack built! :mrgreen:
Aaron wrote:Isn't that all flat-head screwdrivers are good for? Makeshift cold chisels and pry bars. lol
Lord knows the tip of the screwdriver is too messed up to use it for anything else. That's why I keep a chisel in my pouch, to use as a screwdriver! :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:09 am

A. Spruce wrote:BTW, smacking a screwdriver with a hammer is in direct violation of the tool use code of ethics! :shock: :mrgreen:
True. Everyone knows that you're supposed to smack them with pliers or a crescent wrench; hammers are only to be used for pounding on nails and helpers with :lol:

These are known as "Spanner wrenches" and they even make them with a hinge so you can fit a larger range of sizes with one tool. Many commercial locksets and motorcycles require these and while they're probably handy for an electrician everyone will just use their Kleins and a screwdriver instead same as always ;)

Phil

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Aaron wrote:I noticed this cute little set of electrical fitting locknut wrenches at the store earlier this afternoon, for easily tightening or loosening locknuts in steel junction boxes. I can usually manage to get them pretty tight with just needle nose, or even pounding the lugs of the nut with a flat-head screwdriver and hammer. But these are way more efficient to use. I was tempted to get them but they were something like $12-$14 so I was just "meh" and put them back.
I usually can get them tight with just hand pressure... but there are times that I've used the hammer and screwdriver to make them tight.
I'll admit it ... If I was there I probably would have bought it :oops:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 am

Yeah I'm a sucker for tools like these. I like a very tight lock washer, too. I've opened up boxes and discover the washers half spun off the threads of the connectors before.