Installation of vapour barrier

kevink

Installation of vapour barrier

Post by kevink » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Hey all! I've watched the video on installation of vapour barrier.
I've got quite a few sq ft of vapour barrier to install soon.

I noticed you have a very speedy tool for installing the staples, whereas mine requires two hands to pretty much get the staple in accurately ($5 at a garage sale).

I'm wondering what stapler that is and what brand/size do you suggest for installing vapour barrier?

I did search this tools forum for this topic but didn't seem to find anything.

Thanks,
Kevin

Shannon

Re: Installation of vapour barrier

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:29 pm

That is a Bostitch H30-8 hammer stapler.
What country are you in Kevin ,if you don't mind me asking?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

kevink

Post by kevink » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 am

I'm in Saskatoon!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Here is a link to it on our Amazon.ca affiliate link if you wanna order it but you can find them also at most hardware/big box stores. be sure to get the proper staples as well while purchasing the stapler it may not take the same staples you currently use in your other stapler.
https://www.amazon.ca/BOSTITCH-H30-8-Ha ... itch+H30-8
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:39 am

I'm sure that Shannon made using that hammer tacker look easy in his vid, and while they are easy to use, it takes some finesse to hit hard enough to set the staple, but not so hard as to just blow the staples through the material. Keep the face of the tacker as flat to the surface as possible for best results.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

AntonWalker

Post by AntonWalker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:41 pm

I used an Arrow hammer stapler and I find that you want to hit hard as hitting to lite your going to need to hammer the rest in.

kevink

Post by kevink » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Hey Shannan, Spruce and Anton, I bought the very same stapler you speak of and wow what a difference that makes! Installation was a breeze (except the ceiling by myself was difficult). Thanks!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Glad our conversations helped. 8-)

rmajor55

Post by rmajor55 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:02 am

I know OP found something that worked well for them but for any others looking for a stapler, I would recomend the Paslode US-100 pneumatic stapler. It's great for doing vapor barrier, screen material and of course fabric upholstery. I haven't tried it on leather so I can't comment on that aspect.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:21 pm

rmajor55 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:02 am
I know OP found something that worked well for them but for any others looking for a stapler, I would recomend the Paslode US-100 pneumatic stapler. It's great for doing vapor barrier, screen material and of course fabric upholstery. I haven't tried it on leather so I can't comment on that aspect.
I think for vapour barrier I would find that having to get out the compressor and hose would be too much of a pain when it takes little effort to use a hammer stapler?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:50 pm

I would agree, a hammer tacker is the way to go with this sort of thing. Pneumatic fasteners are really hard to regulate for delicate work, which is what vapor barriers, house wrap, and roofing felt are. Pneumatics have their place, this just isn't one of them. 8-)