Circular saw making guide failing

Sbandb

Circular saw making guide failing

Post by Sbandb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:35 pm

I am cutting a 4'x8' sheet of maple wood with my circular saw using the guide I clamped on. The cut starts off smooth, but then the cut starts to feel forced and the blade goes to the right of the line I am cutting on. What would cause this?
Attachments
IMG-20170828-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20170828-WA0002.jpeg (70.76 KiB) Viewed 424 times

A. Spruce

Re: Circular saw making guide failing

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:58 pm

1 - using the wrong blade
2 - using a dull or damaged blade
3 - The guide is not true with the saw or the shoe of the saw is not true to the blade
4 - your straight edge may not be straight.

Added tip:
Cut your plywood with the good side down, this way you won't get tear out on your finished face. If you need good cuts on both sides, then cut face down and score your cut line really well with a utility knife.

In addition to scoring the line, cut the line just a hair wide and either leave it at that OR go back and trim exactly with a router, but you'll need an accurate guide for the router to follow for this, so I tend to cut just a sliver of a hair wide of the line.

IMHO, the saw you're using also makes a big difference in the quality of the cut. I prefer a worm drive saw, as they have a whole lot more torque and by design are easier to guide straight through a cut. Direct drive, or side winder, saws are much more difficult to hold a line with because their handle is on top of the saw, not behind it. Thing is, at least here in the states, the west coast prefer worm drives, the east coast prefers side winders. And, this is a debate that will forever be fought, just like Ford v Chevy v Dodge, even though Chevy is clearly the better choice! ;) :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:08 pm

If that straightedge did not flex then my guess is you have a cheap thin blade in that flexed
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Spruce's #3 answer of the mis-aligned plate for the win. You can test for this by cutting from the opposite end and seeing if the sawcut veers the other way.

Phil