Hitachi cordless framing nailer

tecguy

Hitachi cordless framing nailer

Post by tecguy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:18 am

First, thank you Shannon for creating all your training videos and this great forum. I have learned a lot. Now onto my question...
I want to purchase a Hitachi cordless framing nailer and there are 2 models currently available. The NR1890DC which uses clipped head nails (and possibly offset round head) and are paper clips, and the NR1890DR which uses round head nails and plastic clips. I can only find the DC models in Ontario and only the DR models in Michigan (at Lowes).

Does Ontario building code allow the use of clipped head nails?
Would the DR model which uses only round head nails be a better model to buy?
Do the nail guns using plastic clips work better (less jams) than the ones using paper clips?

Thank you.

DanM

Re: Hitachi cordless framing nailer

Post by DanM » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:35 am

Either gun is fine for framing in Ontario, just buy offset head nails instead of clipped head. I would buy whichever one you can get better deals on nails for. It'll probably be the paper strip nails with offset heads since there's more selection, but check whichever store you like to shop at normally and see what the price and selection of each type of nails is like.

The type of clip really won't affect performance. The vast majority of times a strip nailer jams has nothing to do with the type of clip. It's usually either from parts in the firing mechanism being dirty, not being lubricated properly before use, using nails that aren't at an angle your particular gun likes to use, or using strips that got dropped in the mud or you spilled whatever on them.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes I would agree. My thinking is you buy the one you can easily find nails for in your area so you don't have to special order nails in.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Be careful if you have access to generic nails. Generic nails tend to be "close" to whatever angle your nailer needs, but not necessarily exactly what your nailer needs, hence the term "generic", they're made to fit any number of guns. Generic also tends to mean that they're pretty lax with dimensions as well, so, again, be careful if you're buying off brand/generic nails to use in your nailer.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tecguy

Post by tecguy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I see in the Hitachi manual that the clipped head model does not state that you can use offset round head (only clipped). My only concern is voiding the warranty if I use offset round head nails but it sounds like a lot of people are using those nails without problems. Are offset nails a fairly new style? The Dewalt cordless framing nailer manual states the same thing - only clipped nails are to be used.

DanM

Post by DanM » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Well I can't speak specifically about Hitachi's warranty, but I really doubt it would void the warranty to use offset nails in that gun since Hitachi themselves make offset round head nails for use in their clipped head nailers. You definitely can't use the full round head nails with plastic clips since those have a different magazine angle but the paper collated strip nails, both clipped head and offset round head, in my experience are completely interchangeable in any gun I've fired them through. Offset head nails were basically invented to be used in clipped head nailers in places where clipped head nails ceased to be up to code.

We've got a bunch of Hitachi's guns at work (pneumatic guns though, not the same model you're looking at but the magazine system is most likely virtually identical) and they have absolutely no issues firing offset round head nails as long as the angle of the strips is close to the angle of the magazine. The Hitachi magazines are among the steepest of all the big brand guns at 35 degrees, and they're fine firing strips in the 33-35 range. Anything less than 33 works in a pinch, but you'll get a jam probably every 100 nails give or take.

tecguy

Post by tecguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks DanM. I've ordered the Hitachi NR1890DC today and I'll provide an update on how well I like it.

Shayne

Post by Shayne » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:24 am

DanM wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:35 am
Either gun is fine for framing in Ontario, just buy offset head nails instead of clipped head. I would buy whichever one you can get better deals on nails for. It'll probably be the paper strip nails with offset heads since there's more selection, but check whichever store you like to shop at normally and see what the price and selection of each type of nails is like.

The type of clip really won't affect performance. The vast majority of times a strip nailer jams has nothing to do with the type of clip. It's usually either from parts in the firing mechanism being dirty, not being lubricated properly before use, using nails that aren't at an angle your particular gun likes to use, or using strips that got dropped in the mud or you spilled whatever on them.
I just used my first framing gun and it kicked my but until I watched a video showing how to keep it very lubed up. Worked fine after a little lubing.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 am

Yes the air powered ones need to be kept lubed when using them a lot.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon