Drywall gun

greg1

Drywall gun

Post by greg1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Lately I've been having a tool fetish and now thinking of buying a drywall gun. Would you buy one that has higher RPM (4000) and lower torque or higher torque and lower RPM (2500)? The guy at Makita told me the later should be faster and more versatile tool.

Shannon

Re: Drywall gun

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:40 pm

I have had two, a Dewalt and now Milwaukee. I do not know what the Dewalt RPM was but it was slightly slower I believe then this new Milwaukee, at least it seems that way. But once I got use to the higher RPMs I like it. I also like the new feature Milwaukee has that only turns on the gun when the tip is depressed, so it is not running all the time but you also do not have to hold the trigger.
I really do not think you will notice a huge difference either way (lower or high RPM)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Unless you're doing a whole lot of drywall, I don't know that buying a screw gun is worth it. Being a specialty tool, how often will you use it? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge proponent of buying tools and having all the best toys, but what use is a toy that is never used? 8-)

I simply use a dimple tip in my cordless drill, it's as fast as using a screw gun, particularly if you aren't adept at using a screw gun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RH0V

You will want to use a magnetic tip holder along with the dimple tip to keep the screws attached to the driver.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

greg1

Post by greg1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 pm

I have used dimple in the past. My only concern with it is that it was leaving a ring around a screw on the drywall. Not that big of a deal and will get covered up with mud, but sometimes was really messing up my drywall. Maybe my dimple was defective or I need to use clutch on my drill. Before I was using an old corded drill that was powering through everything. Eventually it burnt out mixing concrete and i got the cordless set.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:53 pm

The only time I've had issues with the dimple tip damaging the drywall is if the drywall isn't supported well, the screw isn't driven straight, or the tip is so worn that it's got sharp edges. The cup depression that it leaves around the screw is by design, makes it easier to mud over the screw. If you apply too much force you can over drive the screws as well. Once you have the feel for it, about a dozen or two screws, it becomes old hat.

Added bonus, dimple tips are a lot cheaper than a screw gun. :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 pm

Just further devil's advocacy, the screw gun also has the added cost of the proprietary drywall screws themselves, you have to buy the same brand coils of them so they autoload into that brand of gun.

I haven't used the dimple bit yet but I know if you have a good one with a solid new tip with a good clutched driver, a tool belt with a big pocket to load up your screws, you should get pretty darn efficient at driving them in normally.

I also REALLY like square head (Robertson) drywall screws. The screws stick with friction onto the bit and don't fall off when you are positioning the screw and sending it home. They're the only ones I use.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 pm
Just further devil's advocacy, the screw gun also has the added cost of the proprietary drywall screws themselves, you have to buy the same brand coils of them so they autoload into that brand of gun.

You don't have to have a drywall gun with a auto feed system, I just use standard drywall screws

I haven't used the dimple bit yet but I know if you have a good one with a solid new tip with a good clutched driver, a tool belt with a big pocket to load up your screws, you should get pretty darn efficient at driving them in normally.

I also REALLY like square head (Robertson) drywall screws. The screws stick with friction onto the bit and don't fall off when you are positioning the screw and sending it home. They're the only ones I use.

I have never seen Robertson drywall screws, drywall guns have a magnetic tip here and the phillips head tip, they work just fine that way.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:16 pm

I watched the promo video of the Milwaukee drywall screw gun. Yeah that was not what I was expecting at all. You still load each screw in it manually but you basically just push the screw into the drywall and it does its thing magically... Nice. I would still say it's more for drywall contractors than DIY'ers but as you say all the time you can always just buy it on eBay and then sell it again when you're done with it.

I can't believe you don't have Robertson screws up there, I've been using them for years down here. You guys use them for everything else!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Yeah, screw guns don't necessarily mean auto feed. The tip is spring loaded and pops out of the screw when it is driven to the correct depth, dictated by the nozzle of the gun. I don't think that Robertson screws would work very well in this instance, because you do not want a lot of grip on the screw, otherwise it won't disengage from the tip.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Yeah that could be. But I sure like the Robertson with my low-budget drill-driver. I think the friction stick of the screw to the bit is better than magnetic stick.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Aaron wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 pm
I think the friction stick of the screw to the bit is better than magnetic stick.
You're wrong, but we'll let you stick around anyway. ;) ;) :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:06 am

No way, I'll take the Robertson, where the bit is far less likely to cam-out the head of the screw.