Hammer Drill + Impact Driver

jeb101

Hammer Drill + Impact Driver

Post by jeb101 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 am

So I'm on the market for a Hammer drill + impact driver, for the past little bit, I was borrowing my dad's kit, which is the Dewalt Drill + Impact driver (20v combo, not the max), and looking for something a little above that. After using a hammer drill, it's hard to go back, esp when you need to go in concrete (not much, but there will be some framing done).

I was looking at a few kits, and I am on a pretty tight budget in terms of drill + driver combo prices go, hoping to get it for under 400CAD after taxes, so like 3-330 before tax would be ideal.

I know Milwaukee is superior to Dewalt, but they don't have any hammer drills unless I get the M18 fuel series, Dewalt's lineup is a little simpler, and they have stuff in that range no problem.

Now, I was told to keep an eye out on Ridgid brand, but not sure how good / what is good from them.

I will be using it to build my basement, it's currently down to concrete, I will have a nail gun / compressor, so I won't be using it for 100% of the framing either.

I know I'm stepping into a minefield asking this, but hopefully a little insight from the community will help me make a more informed decision.

PS: If you have a product that is a bit above my price range, but is absolutely worth it, I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers!

A. Spruce

Re: Hammer Drill + Impact Driver

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:40 am

Something to consider is that every brand and every voltage category has it's own batteries and charger. Personally, I hate having multiple batteries and chargers for my equipment, so I highly recommend sticking to one brand and one voltage for ALL your tool needs.

Throughout my professional career I've always had Dewalt 18v tools, always loved them, never had any complaints, with exception of the hammer feature on the drill, which really was useless, but, I rarely ever needed that feature, so overall Dewalt was one of the best buys I ever made. To be fair, I have not bought any tools in 20 years, and there have been many technological advances in both the tools and the batteries. If I were to buy again, I'd go with Milwaukee because I do think they're a better tool.

Here's the thing, you absolutely want to buy the best tools you can afford, as they will perform and last better than 99% of the cheap brands, But, you also have to weigh just how much you're going to be using the tools. As a pro, using them every single day, it's imperative that you have the best tools, as a handy homeowner who uses the tools much less frequently, you can get away with tools that aren't necessarily up to the rigors of a pro.

Ryoby has come a long way since it first started putting out it's garbage tools in the 80's. I've used their cordless tools and they actually seem pretty capable. Store brands such as Rigid (home depot ) or Kobalt (Lowe's ) are not terrible choices either, and I do believe that the stores stand behind the tools, so if you have issues you can get service or replacement.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Well I bleed Red and black (Milwaukee) I am not yet sponsored by them but that would be sweet! I know they are pricier so my second choice would be Dewalt. DEwalt is super easy to buy at many different stores also so there are deals all the time. I have had a look at Ridgid and they look like they are well built so I would not be scared of them , like Spruce says once you get into a brand of batteries you wanna try to stick with them. With that being said if you are going to stick with a brand you need to look at what kind of a tool line up they have so you can expand your arsenal when the time comes and you don't wanna get into something that does not have a good compliment of other tools.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Shannon wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:34 pm
With that being said if you are going to stick with a brand you need to look at what kind of a tool line up they have so you can expand your arsenal when the time comes and you don't wanna get into something that does not have a good compliment of other tools.
Agreed, you can also save by purchasing kits of several tools over buying tools individually, the more tools in the kit, the more you end up saving.

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 am

Thank you so much guys, it's so much good info!

As much as I would go for Milwaukee, I don't think I can justify it unfortunately. I'm not a heavy heavy user, so I'd go Dewalt Max XR, good tools, good build, good variety. Milwaukee is great tools, great build, good variety + odd bits that only they do (but I'd rent if I ever needed those).

Now I just gotta figure out the kit to get :lol:

Of course, if I do get it on Amazon, I'll be ordering from the link here :P

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:52 am

Thanks for using our Amazon affiliate link!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:32 pm

jeb101 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 am
Now I just gotta figure out the kit to get :lol:
While you're at it, you might want to look at smaller toolbags as well. You'll find that dragging out a huge case with 5 tools in it to be very cumbersome, when all you want is the drill or saw. You can split the tools into smaller bags so that it's easier to grab what you need when you need it. Additionally, you can keep all the extra gear that you'll have for each tool in the bag with the tool(s), for instance, with the dril you're going to have multiple screw tips, a selection of drill bits, a small cache of most frequently used screws, a magnetic tip or two (which I highly recommend), etc. With the saw you'll have extra blades, maybe the rip fence. With a reciprocating saw you'll have a ton of blades because there are all types and sizes for cutting all kinds of things. Not to mention being able to carry extra batteries and charger with your most used tools.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Don't forget the economy of corded tools, too. The performance gap between corded and cordless is narrower than ever, but for some really heavy-duty, high torque applications you just can't beat corded tools. They are also cheaper because they are generally built with very basic commodity motors that have been manufactured for many decades.

My 1/2" Black & Decker hammer drill that I've had for about 12 years now has been a workhorse. Just solid.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Aaron wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:29 pm
Don't forget the economy of corded tools, too. The performance gap between corded and cordless is narrower than ever, but for some really heavy-duty, high torque applications you just can't beat corded tools. They are also cheaper because they are generally built with very basic commodity motors that have been manufactured for many decades.

My 1/2" Black & Decker hammer drill that I've had for about 12 years now has been a workhorse. Just solid.
There is also something to be said for frequency of use. Batteries die if they are not regularly cycled, meaning used/charged/repeat. Infrequent use and charges left on cells will destroy the battery, which means that corded tools can actually be a whole lot cheaper. Less cool and awesome, but cheaper none-the-less. 8-)

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:53 pm

So I ended up getting the Dewalt DEWALT DCK299M2 kit, has a 4a battery, so it should do pretty much everything I need without too much hassle. Should help with so many projects.

Currently have a corded sawzall and circular saw, and compound miter saw, but I'd love to get cordless circular and sawzall, one day!

Thank you all for the help!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Should be a great set for you

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 am

Been using it for a few days now, WOW! What a drill, glad I paid a little more for the extra power and hammer drill function, drilling into concrete went from ~1 min with the old drill I used to a few seconds!

Thank you all for the help! No regrets!

BUT, I would still say, get the Milwaukee M18 Fuel if you can spend a bit more. Neighbor has that and we did a comparison test, and the extra AH you get is worth it. Especially if you have nothing, and have a little extra cash, it's all down to the internals at this point.

But like said above, go with the brand you plan on getting more devices / batteries. I got a device that I can put the big ass 9Ah Flexvolt battery on the drill if I ever need even more power. But I'm not ready to spend 300$ for a battery just yet...

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am

jeb101 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 am
BUT, I would still say, get the Milwaukee M18 Fuel if you can spend a bit more. Neighbor has that and we did a comparison test, and the extra AH you get is worth it. Especially if you have nothing, and have a little extra cash, it's all down to the internals at this point.
Now you see why I suggested sticking with name brand, single manufacturer, single voltage, and best tool that you can afford. This will likely be the last cordless drill you ever buy, all the more reason to spend a little more for the best you can afford, it will literally last you a life time.

I bought my first Dewalt kit in 1999 or 2000, used it heavily every day for years and it's still going strong. All I've done is replace batteries as they've worn out. Money well spent, IMHO