Tool brands etc

CaseyClements

Tool brands etc

Post by CaseyClements » Tue May 01, 2018 1:49 am

Yeah, I'm not sure they will make such a video because that's not their aim... their aim is to show stuff being built or fixed. Plus it would be a liability to speak ill of tool brands and stuff. Perhaps just a vague statement like, "Be sure to get a good quality pair of pliers" or something would be innocuous enough.

As for Ryobi, I agree... The only Ryobi product that I bought and seems to work fine is a circular saw. The cordless drill was crap, but I think it's more my fault for just not using it enough and charging it properly. It's stigmatized me of cordless devices, unfortunately. I feel like the batteries just go to crap, and the cost of a new battery is the same as the cost of a new tool with a new battery which makes no sense at all.

Aaron

Re: Shop at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca (for anything)? Use this link...

Post by Aaron » Fri May 04, 2018 1:10 pm

CaseyClements wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:49 am
As for Ryobi, I agree... The only Ryobi product that I bought and seems to work fine is a circular saw. The cordless drill was crap, but I think it's more my fault for just not using it enough and charging it properly. It's stigmatized me of cordless devices, unfortunately. I feel like the batteries just go to crap, and the cost of a new battery is the same as the cost of a new tool with a new battery which makes no sense at all.

Oh. My. God. Everything you wrote above is like you pulled it right out of my head. I too have a Ryobi circular saw that seems decent enough, and I also had a Ryobi cordless drill that was garbage. It used the yellow battery pack, which I think were NiMH. The modern ones are Lithium.

But I am *so* stigmatized of cordless tools because of that experience. I just recently got a really low-cost Black & Decker cordless drill, though. Lithium obviously. It was like $40 so I figure it would be handy around the house.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri May 04, 2018 6:49 pm

Aaron wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:10 pm

But I am *so* stigmatized of cordless tools because of that experience. I just recently got a really low-cost Black & Decker cordless drill, though. Lithium obviously. It was like $40 so I figure it would be handy around the house.
B&D are actually the pioneers in cordless tool technology, but because they're known as the "budget brand", they couldn't sell it, so they painted everything black and yellow and put the DeWalt name on it and the rest is history. Because B&D and DeWalt are one in the same company, I'm betting that the tool tech is the same across both brands, the B&D line is probably not quite as robust/contractor oriented as the DeWalt line is. FWIW, B&D has owned Big D since the 50's.

As for Ryobi, my first experience was with a cheap corded drill, it was such garbage, no torque, no throttle control, no power without full trigger, even then it was crap. That in and of itself tainted me on Ryobi. In 2015 when I was doing that big remodel I hired a helper who had the Ryobi cordless set, he a professional handyman, so the tools got used regularly, and I have to say, the little I used them while he was on my job they seemed ok. This is by no means a recommendation to by Ryobi products, but maybe, just maybe they've come a long way since their first incarnation?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Besides your experience with a bad corded drill, I think corded power tools are probably all going to be decent as long as you go with a reasonable brand. Cordless is getting there too but if I were betting I would stick with Milwaukee and DeWalt (red and yellow).

B&D might ride the coattails of DeWalt since they own the company, and they could even be a "secret, cheaper, just-as-good alternative" to DeWalt. Porter & Cable I believe also is another B&D brand. All their battery packs are similar, but of course they make them juuuuust a slight different shape or layout ao they're not interchangeable.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri May 04, 2018 7:40 pm

I always say to buy the best tools you can afford. These things are an investment, they're expensive mistakes if you choose the wrong one and the best purchase you've ever made when you choose the right one.

I think Porter Cable is under the Stanley umbrella now.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 pm

My very first cordless drill was a B&D. Univolt I believe it was called. Actually a really good drill. At the time Makita was the dominate cordless drill on the market but that B&D stood side by side on the job site with them . Other then being slightly more bulky in the battery area I loved it and it was better balanced IMO. I continued using that drill in the shop up until about 6 yrs ago. It was going on 20yrs old. I know I replaced a couple batteries in that time and even when I retired and sold it , it was as strong as the day it was new. Loved that drill.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Re: Tool brands etc

Post by Aaron » Sat May 05, 2018 10:12 am

You know what? I totally forgot about a Makita cordless I used to have back in the mid 90s. I really liked that drill!

A. Spruce

Re: Tool brands etc

Post by A. Spruce » Sat May 05, 2018 11:29 am

I bought a Makita 7.2v drill back in the late 80's and it was my primary drill until I bought my first DeWalt kit around 2000. I also had the 7.2 trim saw, which was pretty worthless for cutting anything, but it was the absolute BEST drywall saw for cutting patches and such, which is why I bought it in the first place. Once I bought the dewalt, I never looked back.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat May 05, 2018 8:25 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:40 pm
I think Porter Cable is under the Stanley umbrella now.
And I just discovered on good old Wikipedia that Stanley and B&D are a combined company. lol
A. Spruce wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:29 am
I bought a Makita 7.2v drill back in the late 80's and it was my primary drill until I bought my first DeWalt kit around 2000. I also had the 7.2 trim saw, which was pretty worthless for cutting anything, but it was the absolute BEST drywall saw for cutting patches and such, which is why I bought it in the first place. Once I bought the dewalt, I never looked back.
Yeah I have no idea what Makita I had but 7.2 sounds like a familiar number. I may still have the thing sitting in a box in the basement. I'll take a look at it if I remember. Tall slim gray battery packs. They were definitely the "hip tool" of the time.
Shannon wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 pm
My very first cordless drill was a B&D. Univolt I believe it was called. Actually a really good drill. At the time Makita was the dominate cordless drill on the market but that B&D stood side by side on the job site with them . Other then being slightly more bulky in the battery area I loved it and it was better balanced IMO.
Yeah it probably had that big battery block that was a counterweight to the motor. So you were essentially holding a dumbbell.
Shannon wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 pm
I continued using that drill in the shop up until about 6 yrs ago. It was going on 20yrs old. I know I replaced a couple batteries in that time and even when I retired and sold it , it was as strong as the day it was new. Loved that drill.
Sounds like you got your money's worth. That's great.