Burnt drill mixer?

greg1

Burnt drill mixer?

Post by greg1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:28 pm

My dewalt DW130V 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill smoked when I was mixing concrete the other day. I let it cool down and continued working. Today I was mixing another batch of concrete and it started to smell burnt again but wasnt smoking. Is it a sign that it going to die on me soon? It seems its till mixing with enough power just smells bad now.

Shannon

Re: Burnt drill mixer?

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:17 pm

That is common when using drills to mix concrete or if younover heat a drill under a Heavy load.

You could try to take the brushed out and cleaning the surface of the brushes and the little bars that they contact . These surfaces are likely black from over heating. You may even need to change the brushes but not likey unless it was sparking a lot more then usual.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Yeah, about all you can do is check the brushes that they're not burnt or damaged, the commutator too (the copper ring the brushes rub on). If all is in decent shape, then the problem is deeper and more serious.

Rather than continuing to use and ultimately ruin the drill, why don't you take it into a Dewalt service center and have them take a look at it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:20 pm

That looks like a beefy drill that should handle mixing concrete or thinset or whatever. Depending how long you've had or used it, maybe the brushes are just on their way out and need replacement.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 am

I have a Makita 1/2" drill that I have had likely 15 yrs. It is my mud and mortar mixer primarily but I have mixed a few bags of concrete as well. She works like a pig to mix about a half bag at a time and gives off a little smell when she does. Concrete mixing is a pretty big job for these drills unless you are mixing really wet which with concrete you seldom do.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:21 am

I just went through this myself.
Was mixing thinset with my electric 1/2" dewalt. It started getting hot within a minute or 2.
It's a high speed drill, and relies on the speed to cool down. It's variable speed, but meant for low torque at low speeds.

My 18V dewalt has 3 speeds. I tried that on low speed, and it worked great. No heating, and 1 fully charged battery would do the mix (about 1/2 bag)
The speed switch changes the motor gear, so the motor is running full speed and getting the cooling.

The pros use a mixer drill, which is around 5-600rpms full speed.

Edit: I see yours IS a mixer drill. Just ignore me :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~