Kobalt sliding dual bevel miter saw issue

RonL

Kobalt sliding dual bevel miter saw issue

Post by RonL » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Hello

I recent bought a Kobalt miter saw and noticed the 4 1/4” tall baseboard angles were off about 1/16 of an inch from top to bottom. After some investigation I notice that the rotating table is not level with stationary sections of the table.

Is there normally an adjustment for the height difference?
Attachments
E096F03E-FE1A-425D-916A-293483C2A014.jpeg
E096F03E-FE1A-425D-916A-293483C2A014.jpeg (676.55 KiB) Viewed 144 times

A. Spruce

Re: Kobalt sliding dual bevel miter saw issue

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:49 pm

There is no adjustment of the bed that I know of, it's usually a single cast piece. The center rotating section may have some adjustability. You say it's a dual bevel, I'm going to assume that this means that it not only swings from side to side (horizontal plane), it tilts from side to side (vertical plane) as well. The vertical stop should be adjustable so that the saw is square to the bed, though, this may not be the cure to your problem.

Check it with a known straight edge that will span the length of the entire saw bed, something such as a level or framing square leg and see if you still have the discrepancy. If the problem extends to both sides, I'd say it's a manufacturing problem, if it on one side only, then I'd say that it was damaged in shipping, either way, I would file a warranty claim for a replacement saw.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Kobalt sliding dual bevel miter saw issue

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm

If you are laying the trim down and cutting using the bevel function then the fence needs to be adjusted to be square to the blade.
If you are standing the trim up against the fence to cut and using the mitre function there will be stops for adjustments of the saw head tilt , and saw head at 90 degree stop.

In all honesty those setting could be perfect as is and there is just that much play in the head of your saw as it moves. Cobalt is not top grade so it could be just that. Check the alignment of the other items and see first.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon