Deeeep Cabinets for OTR Microwave Install

Ask your kitchen related question here
somluvable

Deeeep Cabinets for OTR Microwave Install

Post by somluvable » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 am

Hello,

I bought a microwave that is 16” deep. My cabinets are 16.5 deep. I have to bump out the microwave 3 inches for venting which gives me a huge gap in the back of the microwave where typical bump out kits can't be used.

To better explain, this is my kitchen cabinet:
OTR Problem.png
OTR Problem.png (37.53 KiB) Viewed 84 times
This is a side profile of my cabinets. In a normal case, the microwave brackets are placed on the back wall and the microwave fits snug. Because of my cabinet depth, there is about a 3.5 inch gap in the back. Manufactorers provide "bump out kits" which are basically brackets with a 2in lip to help support the microwave despite the possible 1 inch gap. That scenario = 1 inch gap. My scenario = 3.5 inch gap. There aren't any "bump out kits" for my gap. I understand that it is a must that the microwave sticks out for the vents on the top. What can I do about mounting to the wall? :cry:

Thanks in advance! :?:

Shannon

Re: Deeeep Cabinets for OTR Microwave Install

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:25 am

So I would rip down 2/4 s to 2.5” and attach 1/2” plywood on the back building the spacer to the size you need. Arrange the studs so they will be in the right locations for the bracket install. Hang the wall section by screwing through the 1/2 plywood into wall studs. Call vet the face side with 1/2 melamine or drywall so you can then mount microwave at the proper position spaced from the wall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

somluvable

Post by somluvable » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:00 pm

Got it!! Definitely a solution that I can do! Thank you!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 pm

I would suggest maybe tiling the bottom of that build out as well. This will make for easier cleaning
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Chris Wyman

Countertop Laminate

Post by Chris Wyman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am

What was the brand on the spray on contact adhesive

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Sta-Put is a brand i have used a lot.