Removing Silicone

Ask your kitchen related question here
Al C

Removing Silicone

Post by Al C » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi Shannon,
Do you have any advice on how to remove 100% silicone caulking ( clear ) from a granite countertop. I've scrapped off almost all of it with a razor ( there are several spots ) however I can still feel a very tiny grab as I slide my fingers across. Rubbing hard with my fingers does nothing. I want to use a stone enhancer to seal and bring a little life back to the granite, however I'm worried if I don't properly remove all traces of the silicone it may ruin the outcome.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated ...
Cheers,
Al

Shannon

Re: Removing Silicone

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:06 pm

I would try heating it with a hair drier and see what happens?

If that fails I believe there are some products available to use for this.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:18 am

Yeah there's silicone removal products... ask for help at a hardware store or home center for such a product. Of course if you're reapplying silicone, then it does not matter... you can just apply the new stuff with the existing film still there.

loftcraft

Post by loftcraft » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 am

Hi, Al C.
It usually makes in 3 steps

Step 1
Rub your bare hand across the silicone several times to loosen and remove as much of the material as possible. Scrape stubborn spots with your fingernail to remove as much of the silicone from your granite countertop as you can.

Step 2
Hold a plastic putty knife at a 30-degree angle to the countertop. Push the blade into the silicone to lift it from the granite surface. Continue scraping until the silicone is completely removed.

Step 3
Wipe the area with a wet rag to remove any silicone residue. Wipe in a circular motion to get the countertop clean. Dry and shine the granite countertop with a soft rag.

Al C

Post by Al C » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanks Shannon... the hair dryer tip did the trick in removing the last traces of the silicone ... and thanks to the others with their suggestions as well,
Cheers
Al