Water line - plastic vs copper pipes

Ask your kitchen related question here
Privatek

Water line - plastic vs copper pipes

Post by Privatek » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:00 am

I saw your video on how to install a refrigerator water line and it looks fairly simple. However, when I went searching for a copper pipe, I could not find one. I guess it maybe as it is a fairly new house and to cut cost they installed plastic. I traced the main water line from the basement (as this is the nearest location to the fridge) and apart from a very small section of copper on the main cut off, the entire water line is made of a hard plastic tubing. Can you tell me can the water line entry be made from this tubing or not? Would it be a good idea to use the small section of copper on the main cut off as the entry spot?

thx
Louise :?:

Shannon

Re: Water line - plastic vs copper pipes

Post by Shannon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Most new homes now have little or no copper pipes.The plastic type pipes are easier to run and usually fewer joints. You can still add a waterline for the fridge but not the style I showed.You would need to turn off the water and actually add a "t" fitting and extra valve to your line and then get a flexible braided water line that would go to the fridge.If you have a distance to go to get there you may want to "t" in then run some of that plastic line like you have in the house closer to the fridge,add a valve and then use the flex line.Sorry I don't have a video as of yet for this type of hook up.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Privatek

Re: Water line - plastic vs copper pipes

Post by Privatek » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 pm

OK, thanks for the information.