Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing

Ask your kitchen related question here
colleranjl

Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing

Post by colleranjl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:05 am

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your great videos - they are giving me lots of ideas for some home improvements!

I would really like to update my kitchen cabinets. I was planning on painting them, but then heard about Rustoleum Transformations. I admit I prefer the look of wood cabinets over painted cabinets. Do you have any experience with the Rustoleum product?

Thanks for your time!
Joan

Shannon

Re: Kitchen Cabinet Refinishing

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:04 am

No, I am sorry I do not have any experience with that product other than seeing it on the store shelf.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

colleranjl

Post by colleranjl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:24 am

Ok! If I end up using it I'll post pictures.

Have you ever noticed painted cabinets getting "sticky" after a couple of years? Meaning the doors stick closed a bit.

Thank you!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:37 pm

yes that is common where a painted surface is contacting another painted surface. On cabinet doors if you can use rubber door bumpers it helps keep the door surface from contacting the other painted surfaces of the cabinetry.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

colleranjl

Post by colleranjl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Great - thank you.

teddy_tor

Post by teddy_tor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 pm

My friend did his outdated 80's oak kitchen cabinets last week with the rustoleum product and they came out looking brand new and great. I'll ask him to send some pictures to post here. There is also another project called Java (something) for a dark chocolate finish thats well received.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:36 am

The 'sticky paint' can be caused by a few things. Most common is the paint itself; water-based paints never fully harden compared to oil-based enamels which is one reason why I prefer those on cabinets. Heat can also soften paints; cabinets above stoves are the first to exhibit this problem. And there's the grease and oil vapors present in cooking areas; they too will cause paint to soften. Shannon's idea solves the problem but a harder oil-based enamel finish makes everything much more cleanable and longer-lasting as well as less sticky. When applied with a foam trim roller it gives a finish almost equal to spraying.

Phil