recessing fridge into wall

Ask your kitchen related question here
mickjm

recessing fridge into wall

Post by mickjm » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:00 am

hi i am about to recess my fridge into my kitchen wall i would call my skills novice. any tips or advice, also i am in australia

Shannon

Re: recessing fridge into wall

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 am

welcome to the forum! When you say recess I assume you are meaning that you want to just remove the drywall from directly behind the fridge and slide it back just into the wall cavity but not through to the other side of the wall?
If this is the case then be sure that the wall is not a support wall in the home because you will have to remove 1 or 2 wall studs and also check that there is not a switch or plug that will be in your way.The plug for the fridge its self will have to be moved for sure.
Start by removing the drywall from behind the fridge,cut the opening at least 2-3 inches bigger than the fridge.Watch for wiring! Cut out any studs that are in the way. If the wall was a support wall you will need to build a header and put it in place ,this will require removing more drywall to get it framed properly. Apply new drywall to the opening if you wish and refinish. Make sure your fridge has some" breathing " room , so don't built the cavity tight around the fridge. These are just the basic steps but hopefully it helps ,good luck.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mickjm

Re: recessing fridge into wall

Post by mickjm » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 pm

it will be protuding into the laundary so i will box that out but i will be adding cupboards in that room to balance the look and to add some storage space, thanks for your help i will keep in touch