Closet removal for kitchen cabinets

Ask your kitchen related question here
willham

Closet removal for kitchen cabinets

Post by willham » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Hi Shannon-

Thanks for all the great videos you post, I refer to them often. I recently bought a split level home and am in the process of renovating the kitchen. The front entry closet took up some space in the kitchen right where my corner cabinets are going, so I had to remove it. I plan to build a 2x4 stud wall to close off the closet but I wanted to get confirmation on my plans for the interior space and adding flooring, that's proper supported for cabinets and counter tops.
I plan to sister 2x10s to the existing 2x10s with 12d nails. So there would be 4- 2x10s to form the frame of the new floor then a support beam in the middle, the same direction as the floor joist. The forth 2x10 would be installed against the new 2x4 stud wall. I wonder if you think I need to build vertical supports for the new 2x10s? Or, is sistering good enough? The frame will be skinned with 3/4 plywood for the subfloor.
Sorry about the first tow pictures, I couldn't rotate them.
Attachments
IMG_4870.JPG
IMG_4870.JPG (92.88 KiB) Viewed 513 times
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4873.JPG (106.06 KiB) Viewed 513 times
IMG_4874.JPG
IMG_4874.JPG (108.56 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Shannon

Re: Closet removal for kitchen cabinets

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:30 pm

The 4 - 2x10s will be great around the perimeter of the opening and then one in the middle or where ever it lines up with the existing floor joist that is missing. The best practice with the centre one would be to use joist hangers on each end to support it well instead of just toenailing it at the ends. I would also add some construction adhesive to the sistered ones for added strength.No vertical supports needed. Good luck
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

willham

Re: Closet removal for kitchen cabinets

Post by willham » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:00 am

Perfect! Thanks for your help!