Dishwasher Tee - compression ring use

Ask your kitchen related question here
davemikewalker

Dishwasher Tee - compression ring use

Post by davemikewalker » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:52 am

Hi Shannon,

I am putting in a dishwasher (thanks for the videos on the topic)
I am connecting a brass tee (Adapt-A-Valve in the photos below) to my shutoff ( Traditional Valve in the photos below). My question is:
Do I need the compression ring from the shutoff?
It seems to work both ways so I am interested to know which way is proper or better.
Thanks

Thanks for all the detailed videos
Attachments
IMG_5667.JPG
IMG_5667.JPG (135.61 KiB) Viewed 505 times
IMG_5666.JPG
IMG_5666.JPG (194.2 KiB) Viewed 505 times
IMG_5665.JPG
IMG_5665.JPG (158.79 KiB) Viewed 505 times
IMG_5664.JPG
IMG_5664.JPG (183.24 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Saving money cuz I am cheap!

Shannon

Re: Dishwasher Tee - compression ring use

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:53 pm

I have never seen that T before but that ring would be needed for sure if that connection is possible. The ring is made of brass and basically crushes as you tighten the connection and makes the seal.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:26 pm

I think the female ends on that tee have an internal washer/O-ring, so it just hand tightens, then you tighten with a quarter turn with a crescent wrench. Tou wouldn't use the compression ring (ferrule) there.

The ferrule is used for when you slide it on flexible tubing (often metal but could be polyethelene or nylon too) but before you slide it on you must also slide on a female compression connector (looks like a hex nut) that, when tightened to the male end, mashes the ferrule to the mating end creating a seal.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Aaron wrote:I think the female ends on that tee have an internal washer/O-ring, so it just hand tightens, then you tighten with a quarter turn with a crescent wrench. Tou wouldn't use the compression ring (ferrule) there.

The ferrule is used for when you slide it on flexible tubing (often metal but could be polyethelene or nylon too) but before you slide it on you must also slide on a female compression connector (looks like a hex nut) that, when tightened to the male end, mashes the ferrule to the mating end creating a seal.
You could be very right , I just seen that short piece of copper sticking out and figured maybe it would need the ring. I never thought to tell him to look for a rubber washer /o ring inside.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Knurled ends are usually fitted with o-rings- a look inside will verify that. If you don't see an o-ring, look at the nut for a tapered section inside- those will be compression fittings. To go from the valve shown to the tee I think will be a compression fitting; again look for a tapered section.

If you hook it up and it leaks profusely, the fittings are mis-matched- that's one sure but sloppy way to tell.

Phil