Cutting kitchen crown moulding

Ask your kitchen related question here
A. Spruce

Re: Cutting kitchen crown moulding

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:30 pm

I don't follow.

Under cabinet lighting, correct? And you're asking if the light string should stop at edge of cabinet or against fridge? If this is what you're asking, it isn't going to matter, 3" between the end of the light string and the side of the fridge is nothing to worry about.

If you're talking about going over the fridge too, I wouldn't do that, as this is typically out of sight of most people anyway. The point of under cabinet lighting is to brighten up a dark counter while working, or as mood lighting.

You could temporarily run different light configurations with tape to see what different choices look like. When you find the one you like best, install it permanently.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Sorry for bad explanation. What I meant was the moulding itself. Would you recommend having it "touch" the gable?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:33 pm

I think I see what you're getting at, to end the light valance at the cabinet edge or at the filler edge? Definitely the filler edge. If this is what you mean, the valance is part of the cabinet, so it should extend to full length, including the filler.

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant. Ok, I'll extend the full length. :)

My cabinets are frameless.

For the front, I'm thinking of installing it flush like the image below (flush with the cabinet box). How about the side of the cabinet? Should it be flush or recessed?

According to this link http://fixmycabinet.com/2009/08/13/inst ... -recessed/, the author advises NOT to be recessed if the light valence moulding next to the microwave/hood area. Not sure what's the reason for that, I thought it should be either flush or recessed for all areas. :D

EDIT: Just tried with a scape piece, it looks like recessed on the side looks nicer, more like a moulding and not a continued piece of the cabinet. :D

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:54 pm

for sure it should be 2 pieces one ending against the gable and one against the wall/tile
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Well, the first thing is, you can't believe anything you read on any other construction forum! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

When it comes to aesthetics, I can only tell you what looks pleasing to my eye and why. That is the best that anyone can really do, then it is up to you to decide what looks best to you. I don't have my head wrapped around what it is you're doing to definitively say that it should be one way (setback ) or another (not setback ). What I would say is to play with both and see which you prefer. Have a helper hold a piece of the actual valance in place so you can get an accurate eye on it.

My mind's eye is telling me no setback would look the best, while my gut is telling me that a setback of up to 3/4" is going to look the best. I question the premise of the link you posted that said no more than 1/16" to 1/8" setback. My experience with these things says that this is not true. I think you'll find that no setback is going to look good, then as you move the valance inward, it's going to look worse as it simply looks like a poor install, then as the setback increases it's going to look good again. I think the 1/16" is going to look like a poor install, while the deeper setback of 3/4" will look better. Again, it's your house and your eye, go with what your wife tells you to do and everyone will be happy! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:06 pm

What I find (and this is a personal choice on my part) is that because the front valance is set back because of the over hang of the doors I then will do a set back on the side as well where it is required that I return back to the wall. I keep my side set back just behind the finished gable edge if they are "plant on" finished gables so that the melamine bottom of the cabinet does not show between the gable and the valance.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 pm

You guys have me scratching my head with all the gable talk. I've never heard the term associated with cabinets. :?
Last edited by A. Spruce on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 pm

Yeah, I just tried with some scrap pieces and it looks like setback looks nicer to me and my wife. Hope she won't change her mind once everything up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rewatched Shannon's video on the installation again and it looks like Shannon did setback on the side too. I think I'll go with 5/8 inch which is the size of the cabinet gable.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:14 pm

Shannon wrote:What I find (and this is a personal choice on my part) is that because the front valance is set back because of the over hang of the doors I then will do a set back on the side as well where it is required that I return back to the wall.
That is what my gut was telling me, the doors give the appearance of a setback, so applying it to the end of a cabinet as well blends things together.

Tom, you might take your setback cue from the thickness of the doors, since this is effectively the "setback" along the cabinet face.

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:23 pm

Shannon wrote:What I find (and this is a personal choice on my part) is that because the front valance is set back because of the over hang of the doors I then will do a set back on the side as well where it is required that I return back to the wall. I keep my side set back just behind the finished gable edge if they are "plant on" finished gables so that the melamine bottom of the cabinet does not show between the gable and the valance.
You spot on, Shannon. I'll do that.
A. Spruce wrote:
Shannon wrote:What I find (and this is a personal choice on my part) is that because the front valance is set back because of the over hang of the doors I then will do a set back on the side as well where it is required that I return back to the wall.
That is what my gut was telling me, the doors give the appearance of a setback, so applying it to the end of a cabinet as well blends things together.

Tom, you might take your setback cue from the thickness of the doors, since this is effectively the "setback" along the cabinet face.
Yep, Spruce, I'll do the setback of 5/8 inch. That's the thickness of the "gable" :lol: as well as the thickness of the doors.

Thanks guys, more cutting for me tomorrow!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:27 pm

You're mocking me, aren't you? That's blatant mockage, right there! :x :lol: :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:33 pm

A. Spruce wrote:You guys have me scratching my head with all the gable talk. I've never heard the term associated with cabinets. :?
Commonly used for a panel used to finish the end of a cabinet or panel used to help support an upper cabinet right down to the floor like over a fridge . Does that help?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Oh, you mean an END panel. ;) :mrgreen:

Yes, that does help. 8-)

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:26 pm

A. Spruce wrote:You're mocking me, aren't you? That's blatant mockage, right there! :x :lol: :lol:
;) ;) :lol: :lol:

So I managed to do most of the easy cut (e.g., 45 mitre cut) for the light valence moulding. I'm about to tackle the corner like the image below? There's a big filler between the left cabinet and the corner (middle) cabinet causing the mitre joint shifted to the right. Do you think it looks "right"?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:30 pm

tommyle wrote:So I managed to do most of the easy cut (e.g., 45 mitre cut) for the light valence moulding. I'm about to tackle the corner like the image below? There's a big filler between the left cabinet and the corner (middle) cabinet causing the mitre joint shifted to the right. Do you think it looks "right"?
Does it look right?!?!? NO it doesn't look right!!!! How could that look right? I mean, HOLY mackerel! :o ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, do to the cabinet design, it will look a bit odd with the "offset" corner, but that is the true corner of the cabinet, so there isn't anything you can do about it. This is why you have a big ol' 2x4 hanging on a chain in the corner of the kitchen. When someone starts looking a little too closely WHAM!!! upside the head! Sure, you'll see stars for a little while, but you won't remember why people are laughing at you . . . er, uh, I mean, what offset trim joint?!?!?! :?: :?: :mrgreen:

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks Spruce. I'm guessing I will have this offset corner for the crown moulding too :D

Well, time to find some 2x4s and hang them in the corner like you suggested. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am

Hi guys,

Happy New Year!

Really sorry for a delay to follow up on my progress. I had much fun time with the family in the summer :D so I was not able to finish my project as planned. :(

Never too late I guess as I was able to make the time to complete this project just a few days ago. Thanks Shannon and Spruce for the tips and advice! I've learned a great deal in this project. :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:53 am

You did a great job , you should be proud to say you did that on your own!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Guess I know who I'm hiring the next time I need some molding work done. 8-)

Great job, be proud!

tommyle

Post by tommyle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks guys. Looking forward to my next moulding project, perhaps the crown moulding for the rooms in the summer. I need to prep well to do good work for your future project, Spruce. :mrgreen: