New kitchen floor tile grouting prep

Ask your kitchen related question here
The28Thfish

New kitchen floor tile grouting prep

Post by The28Thfish » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 am

Good Morning,

I will start out by saying that my boyfriend and I recently took on a floor tiling project by ourselves in our kitchen. We consulted home improvement videos and found them to be incredibly helpful.

My question is centered around the preparation needed before we begin grouting. The room is quite large, 320 sqft. This was our first experience tiling, and we had many concerns as we were doing it. For example, some of the mortar had rose to the surface of the spaces between tiles. Each morning, we would take a scraper and remove any dry, excess mortar that had either risen beyond the tile height, or excess that was situated on the tiles themselves.

*My Question*
Now that we have completed tiling, we are at the point where we are planning to begin the grouting process. We purchased a grout, as well as sealant. What is the ideal amount of time to wait before laying down the last bit of tile and grouting? Also, how far should we remove any of the dry, excess mortar that happened to seep through the spaces between tiles? I assume this question has been asked, but I am seeing so many conflicting opinions on this matter. Some people say to not devote too much time/effort into removing the excess, while others say it is crucial before grouting. Thank you!

Shannon

Re: New kitchen floor tile grouting prep

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:19 am

Welcome to house-improvements!

To start with all tile setting mortar that is exposed above the grout
Level line should be removed to at least about 1/8" below what you figure will be the top level of the new grout you will install. Be aware that usually that level is a little lower than you think it will be especially if you have grout lines wider than 1/8" as you generally end up wiping some our while washing excess grout off. Sounds like you have been pretty careful with removing this up to now so just check it all once again and use a vacuum to remove loose bits ,dust and debris. Depending on the type of tile you used it may need to be sealed before grouting if you did not do that before installing them. Check with the flooring company or manufacturer that the tile came from.the reason is some ports tiles need this extra step to prevent grout from staining them when being installed and making it easier to clean off as well. Not all tiles need that step though.
Most mortars recommend a drying time of 24-48 hrs before grouting, read your manufactures recommendations .
Now if you have read or watch most of my grouting info and videos you will know I recommend urethane or newer epoxy type grouts that come all ready to use in plastic tubs in either 9lb or 18lb sizes. These grouts simply need to be stirred well before using and your ready to go. The reasons I like these are that they are moisture proof and stain resistant and very strong when cured compared to most powdered grouts which you must mix with water .
To apply grout use a rubber grout float to spread/wipe grout diagonally across grout lines forcing it into the grout lines ,filling them completely and then using it to scrape off most of the excess as you go . Move along the floor starting at the far end of the room working your way backwards toward the exit of the room.Grout only a small area at a time (maybe 6 square feet or so) until you get more comfortable with the process. So apply the grout and after it has been applied for 2-5 min use a clean floor sponge to clean off excess grout left behind before it starts to get to stuck on. You will need a 2-3 gallon Pail of cool clean water to rinse the sponge in. Dip sponge in and rinse out everytime and also squeeze out excess water. As the water gets dirtier you will need to dump it out and fill with clean water again.i actually like to have four Pails and two sponges. One Pail and sponge for initial cleaning , one sponge and Pail for secondary cleaning and a third pail with clean water and the fourth larger pail for dirty water.Two people for grouting is nice as one person can just keep the water fresh for the other the whole time. You will soon learn how much tile to grout at a time before cleaning it and grouting the next area.
These instructions are for the grouts I recommend if you are using something different check the manufacture instructions.
This is kind of long and wordy but I hope it helped! Good luck
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

The28Thfish

Post by The28Thfish » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:33 am

Thank you so much! I appreciate the quick response and feedback.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:52 am

In addition to what Shannon offered, DO NOT pour dirty grout water down the drain, take it outside, as the sand will clog and harden in the drain pipes, causing you big headaches later on. A little clarification on the sponge as well, there are large tile sponges in the tile section of any place that sells tile, use one of these, as they have open pores that release the grout well when rinsing.

Good luck with your project 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:52 pm

Yes that is good to mention , do not dump dirty water down a drain.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Roy Felton

Post by Roy Felton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:56 am

Hope the work got completed and everything went on well.