Page 1 of 1
Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:28 pm
Hi there. So im prepping the room for a new kitchen and am replacing alot of the knob and tube wiring with proper wiring. In the celiing of the main floor, I find an old Live wire. No idea where it leads to so i can disconnect it. Have checked the fuseboxes, and no old wiring going in. Previous owner obviously jimmyed knob and tub into a junction box somewhere. Any tips or clues to look for in isolating this Live wire? PS_ I found out it was Live the old fashioned way.
Re: Live Wire
Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21 pm
Try turning off individual breakers in the electrical panel one at a time until that wire is dead. This will then also show you what else is on that circuit and maybe that can point you in the right area to start looking. It could even be wired in with a plug or switch. Do not pull or tug on this old wire to much ,they can be fragile and you do not want to break it somewhere that you can not get at. If all else fails and you can not find the connection, cap the end, tape it up and put it in a junction box. Remember junction boxes should not be hidden after!