Putting down tile in my kitchen

Ask your kitchen related question here
Ruze81

Putting down tile in my kitchen

Post by Ruze81 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:35 am

Shannon,

First off your videos are great and very informative, keep them coming!

I want to remove my existing flooring in my kitchen and replace it with porcelain tile.

I'm not sure what is under the floor currently(I believe it is plywood). If that is the case do I need a backer board over it or can I just lay the tile down on the plywood.

Is there self leveling thinset I can use to correct any areas that are unlevel?

Thank you so much

Shannon

Re: Putting down tile in my kitchen

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Ok so first off if you are tiling over wood only then most tile manufactures require 1" of plywood before tiling directly over it.
If you want to have a wood /backer board combination then usually I recommend that that is also a minimum of 1" total.
What I prefer is to use a decoupling membrane. Schluter's Ditra is one of those membranes. What schluter recommends is if you have a joist spacing of 16" O.C. or less you can install Ditra right over a minimum of 5/8" T&G plywood or OSB. Even if you have 19 -1/4" joist spacing and at least 3/4" T&G Ditra can go directly over it. If however you have 24" O.C. joists then you need a minimum of 1-1/8" of wood floor under the Ditra.
Basically these membranes allow the wood to move minimally without causing the tiles to crack or break.

Yes there are self levelling concrete mixes in a bag you can buy to first level the floor.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Ruze81

Post by Ruze81 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Thank you very much.

I guess it would be best to pull up a small section to see what the sub floor is. I believe it is plywood.

If so I will probably put something like the Schluter's Ditra membrane down first.it seems like that is be official for a high traffic area such as a kitchen.

In regards to a self leveling product, when I pull up the flooring I can check for level and use it if necessary.

Thank you for your videos. Keep them coming!!!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:36 pm

I really hate to lead you away from this site, however, the JohnBridge.com tile forum has deflection calculators and such to help you determine if your floors are up to the task of holding tile or not, and what you need to do to get it there.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 pm

You can pull out a floor register to see what you have for a floor thickness.
As far as the leveller, remember in 99% of cases you are not actually needing to level the floor , but make it flat/true. I just wanted to make that a little more clear.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon