Backsplash on drywall

Ask your kitchen related question here
phantomvs

Backsplash on drywall

Post by phantomvs » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:51 am

Hi Guys,

I am getting some mixed info on installing a ceramic backsplash on old/new drywall.

You see i torn down my cabinets in my kitchen and in some places drywall was removed and replaced with new in those cases i did some minor mud work . In some places just a layer of paper peeled off old drywall (not sure if i should mud over that ) and in some places drywall is intact with the old paint stil there. There was never any backsplach tile installed anywhere before. It was all painted guessing with a mix of oil / water based paint over the years.

I plan on putting new ceramic backsplash now and the guy at the tile store said i should prime all the walls where i plan on putting tile before laying tile.

Is this true ?

Yet i talked to one tile installer and he said as long as walls are straight and flush (they are) the glue will hold the tile no problem.

Not sure if i should prime the walls or not before laying tile.

Thanks !

Shannon

Re: Backsplash on drywall

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:46 am

Priming before installing tiles is not really necessary IMO. I generally have the walls painted before I even install the cabinets ,but thats just me.
With the mix of different surfaces you have it would not hurt to prime, the wall will absorb moisture from the mortar or mastic more evenly that way.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:47 am

If you are using tile mastic, it will stick regardless of paint. If you are using thinset, then paint, because the bare drywall will draw the moisture out of the thinset faster than the painted area, which will result in erratic drying, curing and adhesion.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 pm

I'll be the odd-man-out; I often am but never without a good reason :D

In cases like this I prefer to prime with an oil-based primer first as it will help keep the sheetrock dry should water ever get back that far. Wet sheetrock doesn't last very long and it takes whatever is on top of it with it when it crumbles :roll: Sand before tiling so the thinset can get a better 'bite'.

Phil