Crown mouldings on Euro-Rite cabinets

Ask your kitchen related question here
Coutter67

Crown mouldings on Euro-Rite cabinets

Post by Coutter67 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi, I have Euro- Rite box style cabinets. My question is, how do I glue and brad nail the crown moulding down if there is high spots from the gables on each end of cabinets. This leaves low points in the middle of the cabinets. Would I brad nail on the high points and let the middle float? What do I do with the space left under the mouldings? Hope you can help, thanks.

Shannon

Re: Crown mouldings on Euro-Rite cabinets

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:19 pm

I assume these were finished gables that you added to the cabinet boxes? If so they should have been cut to fit before installing?
If this is not the case a picture or two would be helpful so I can see the situation better.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Coutter67

Post by Coutter67 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Hope these pictures help. The gable I'm talking about is the side of the cabinet. It is slightly raised from the upper part of the box.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (389.26 KiB) Viewed 547 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (357.46 KiB) Viewed 547 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (339.87 KiB) Viewed 547 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Ahh now I see the issue. Really the best thing I can suggest is a bead of white caulking under the back edge or along the back edge once this trim is installed. That will close the gap and keep it from being noticed .The window in the back is not haloing at all , the caulking will stop that light from shining through and showing off the slight gap.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:56 pm

I agree, though I would caulk the front, not the back, so that the crack isn't visible. As for attachment, install blocking along the top of the cabinet to attach the trim to. It doesn't have to be a continuous piece, just small 2" to 3" blocks every 16" or so will keep the molding in place.

The other thing you could do, which I don't recommend, is to notch the molding over the sides of the cabinets. The problem with doing this is that you won't have a gap for your doors to operate without binding. Which brings us to another detail to watch as you install the trim using the block method. Either cut yourself some shims the same exact thickness as the difference of the cabinet top/side height, or use a long straight edge to make sure you install the molding straight and true, you don't want it dipping down between cabinet sides because it will be noticed and not look right.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:58 pm

I believe this trim has an attached cleat to install to the cabinet top so no blocks are needed.
I prefer to use caulk on the back because when it is not being painted I find over time many tend to yellow and really look bad.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Ah, then I would suggest shims under the cleats to keep it all the same height.

Agreed, some caulks can yellow. This is where a kitchen and bath "bright white" would be used, which tends to be a siliconized acrylic caulk that holds it's color pretty good. The other thing with this particular install is that the gap will only be seen when the doors are opened, so caulking the back edge would be just fine.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.