cutting handmade ceramic tiles

Ask your kitchen related question here
Feance

cutting handmade ceramic tiles

Post by Feance » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:18 am

hi! Great forum and tips btw. I have a question - how can i cut handmade ceramic mosaic tiles nice and clean? It seems pretty fractured and i dont know how it can be cutted without cracking. Help would be appreciated!

Shannon

Re: cutting handmade ceramic tiles

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:18 am

thank you we try to help anywhere we can.
I am not actually familiar with cutting hand made tiles but I would think any of the regular ways would work (wet tile saw,snap cutter) the problem is with fractured tiles any one of those may shatter the tile. My guess is the snap cutter would be best but i suspect you will have problems, sorry to say. good luck
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:21 am

Odds are the glaze on a hand made tile isn't uniform so that a snap cutter will be more likely to fracture, if the tiles themselves are also hand made the problem would be compounded. I would say that a wet saw is going to be the best bet, because it is a relatively controlled cutting method and you control the rate of feed, so damage should be minimized.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Feance

Post by Feance » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:41 am

Thanks! I`ll try to use wet saw on several tiles that are bigger. Need to find it first, however :D I`ll give you a photo or any update about this. I got these handmade tiles from a friend who bought them in arabian countries. Some decorations with it would be great! I hope i won`t forget about it

marisaford1122

Post by marisaford1122 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:34 am

Handmade tile from an Arabian county! Seems great, but what is the difference between that and a regular one? Is it costlier than the regular tiles available? Can you please share the images of the handmade tile?